• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Join

Is it a necessary skill for a GD?

This topic is 4323 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Two days before I got a result from Gamasutra Job searching,it seems that almost 90 percents Game Designer needs a 3D Max skill. Is it(3D Max) a necessary skill?

Advertisement
This is only an opinion, so everyone that has better, more valuable reasonning is free to correct me.

Blender is not considered as a valid option by the industry right now, although that might change in the future. The key problem of blender is also its key strength: it's GUI, while being very powerfull and very easy to use is still seen as strange and unintuitive. Moreover, it lacks supports from the major middleware that are currently used by game development studios. And, to finish with, the "open source program that change way too often" is also a bad candidate for a well structured production pipeline.

To be competitive, Blender have to be far better than the other alternative, and to address these points.

However, a guy who has some strong 3D skills just have to learn a new tool - while complex, tools tend to have less complexity than a programming language, so it is easier to make the shift. If you are good at using blender, it is because of your modeling skills, not because of the program itself (which is only here to handle some repetitive math tasks).

Regards,

Quote:
Original post by Emmanuel Deloget

However, a guy who has some strong 3D skills just have to learn a new tool - while complex, tools tend to have less complexity than a programming language, so it is easier to make the shift. If you are good at using blender, it is because of your modeling skills, not because of the program itself (which is only here to handle some repetitive math tasks).

Regards,

These days I used Warcraft3 Editor to build a map which has about 30 triggers. I prefering to do more work on building story,though I do some work on map circumstance building,I don't have so much fun on modeling as the story.

As you say,3D skills is modeling skills not programming skills.I also want to learn more 3D skills ,there may be more opportunity to me if I can use 3D Max. For that reason I persuade myself "Build a circumstance" is a part of building story.

For example, when you see a hero statuary in the game;it is old and scruffy. it indicates the justice suffers pain when struggling with the evil.When a NPC is looking at this statuary, he found pain in his eyes, there is a big secret in the game which will be discovered by NPC telling.

May be it is one reason they want someone has model skills like 3D Max; am I right?:)

Blender doesn't have all of the necessary features for game development. Things like shader authoring (along with DXSAS compliance), keeping track of per model or submesh shader parameters and having the capability to export those, stuff like that. And since it's practically guaranteed that it will never do effects and DXSAS, it's unlikely it will ever make great inroads on professional game development.

Also the UI sucks. All that stuff about it being good when you're an expert is bullshit.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!