• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
_Madman_

How to write (kinda) spyware

This topic is 4321 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, ok, not spyware, because it's against forum rules and its bad, but something close to that. The problem: I need to allow only few people behind NAT to access my web page. The username/password won't help, as it's actually the machines I need to restrict not people and if 50 people come to PC during the day... I think that renders this solution useless, not to even think about password sharing among other machines if they are available to users... Nothing on earth seems to alow me to enforce such access rules, because all the mechanisms are just a cut-off versions of the needed ones... The software will be installed with user permission and such, if I can't avoid installing junk on clients PC, but I need access control mechanism realy bad and I just don't want to resort to super fugly/$$$ way of ssl...

Advertisement
If you're just hosting a single website on your machine, block connections to the server's port (80) using your firewall to anybody outside the allowed range. If you're running multiple sites, edit that particular site's access permissions (IIS provides a mechanism for this IIRC, as does Apache).

Ok, I'll do some drawing... EDIT: no drawing... spaces are getting eaten

(My WEB) ---- NAT ---- PC (A,B,C and probably few hundred more)

I have a good users siting at the PC A, and evil users at PC B and PC C... The problem is that they all use one IP address and if I block it, users at PC A are blocked for good...

Guest Anonymous Poster
ah yeah, i think i understand...
its similar to:

YOUR_SERVER ---- ISP ---- YOUR_ROUTER ------ YOUR_LAN ---- PCs [yours, others]

what about using a vpn and storing the password locally on the allowed pc(s) ?

Yea, that's the problem... :(

And VPN is only good if I need them to be in my LAN. I just want to serve a web page to probably quite a few people, VPNning the whole system would be extremely burdensome, resource hungry and so on... :(

Storing password localy... I don't know how to do that in ASP or PHP, unless I use cookies... That can be cleared... Moreover, IIRC they might be unique for every logged user...

Out of interest, why do you need to only allow access to your site from certain machines, not users, if they're all behind the same NAT anyway?

Imagine 3rd world country... Thousands of people are dialing in every day (ISP uses NAT, or even worse, NAT+Proxy), they all share one IP, and I just see that one IP is accessing my server resources...

Passwords... One user gets it... he posts it on some forum... And username+password+IP check is OK for, lets say half of China...

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by _Madman_
Imagine 3rd world country... Thousands of people are dialing in every day (ISP uses NAT, or even worse, NAT+Proxy), they all share one IP, and I just see that one IP is accessing my server resources...

Passwords... One user gets it... he posts it on some forum... And username+password+IP check is OK for, lets say half of China...

And what are you going to do about it then? Install spyware on the computer of all people in the world, so they can't get onto your website, presumably without paying? That's the most retarded idea I ever heard.

You either post something on the internet for everyone, or have them get an accout with a password. That's the way it works.

If this isn't applicable to your problem, lay off the jacky and stop talking about a generic problem instead of your specific problem.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by _Madman_

And what are you going to do about it then? Install spyware on the computer of all people in the world, so they can't get onto your website, presumably without paying? That's the most retarded idea I ever heard.

You either post something on the internet for everyone, or have them get an accout with a password. That's the way it works.

If this isn't applicable to your problem, lay off the jacky and stop talking about a generic problem instead of your specific problem.

I got to earn money somehow, take a look at techreports poll about percentage of pirated music they have. Depressive amount of people have 90%-100% ripped content.

You can say that the price is not right or something, but it's the laziness and money spent on girls/alchochol/other stuff that is reason enough to avoid paying if you can get something for free.

So, excuse me, but if you can't offer me a real solution, just shut up, and keep waiting till it's all rosy and cool around.

I am not a spyware fan, but I need to find some sort of solution, I guess some developers should understand the problem behind all this.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!