• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Confused Reagrding glvertexpointer

This topic is 4144 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am having a problem reagrding glvertexpointer using with gldrawelements Below is my source code : load(): vertex= new GLfloat[num_vert]; for(int i=0;i<num_vetex;++i) { fscanf(fp,"%f ",&vertex); } fscanf(fp,"%d\n",&num_index); index=new GLubyte[num_index]; for(int j=0;j<num_index;j++) { fscanf(fp,"%d \n",&index[j]); } Draw: glEnableClientState(GL_VERTEX_ARRAY); glVertexPointer(3,GL_FLOAT,0,vertex); glColor3f(1.0f,1.0f,0.0f); glDrawElements(GL_TRIANGLES,num_index,GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE,index); while vertex is GLfloat array and index is a GLubyte array which are declared globally if I use the above code it works fine and the primitve is rendered properly even if I change a code like below which logically is same, nothing is rendered on the screen. The only thing I change is the reading elemnet reversely and storing it reversly which should not make a difference in the way it is stored in buffer. the revised code is : load(): vertex= new GLfloat[num_vert]; for(int i=(num_vetex-1);i>=0;--i) { fscanf(fp,"%f ",&vertex); } fscanf(fp,"%d\n",&num_index); index=new GLubyte[num_index]; for(int j=(num_index-1);j>=0;--j) { fscanf(fp,"%d \n",&index[j]); } Draw: glEnableClientState(GL_VERTEX_ARRAY); glVertexPointer(3,GL_FLOAT,0,vertex); glColor3f(1.0f,1.0f,0.0f); glDrawElements(GL_TRIANGLES,num_index,GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE,index);

Advertisement
Hi brohan,
Because you read one float value one at a time, the order of (x,y,z) might be swapped in the second code.
The first code reads x, y, and z in order and store vertex array. But it seems to me that the second code reads the x-value(the first one) and puts it at last, which is actually z-value. So it looks like zyx zyx zyx ...in the array.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement