• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Razor89

How to build a game like Ballistics

This topic is 4324 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I want to build a game similar to the Ballistics racing game but don't know how to start on this paticular kind of game. The basic idea to the game is you race in this hover bike kind of thing and you are attached to the inside of this giant tube and you can rotate 360 degrees around the inside of it going as fast as you possibly can. If you don't know what the game is then look here for some movies demonstrating it: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/driving/ballistics/media.html I figured the tracks could be build using sort of a bezier curve based track that you can attach an object to and rotate it around this track and be able to set its position on the track but I'm not entirely sure. Anybody have any ideas as to how this game works and the math behind it? Jimmy

Advertisement
If you want to be able to ride a curve (example: air tube use by bank tellers). You would start by defining your curve in some way and then find the tangent of the curve at that point (the slopes of the line connecting points line(pos+h) and line(pos) where h is a really small number, the smaller the better. Then you create a rotation matrix for these slopes, possibly from using polar coordinates. The 3rd final rotation value will come from roll in the vehicle, determined by the player input or by a 4th component of each point on the line, possibly a combination of both.

You would use this matrix to transform a point which you could use as your chase camera starting point.

How do you pass in a game like this? does your vehicle occupy the whole tube or only a small portion of it.

If the vehicle is small compared to the size of tube as if another vehicle could pass it if they're roll angles are significantly differnt. It kind of like doing a sphere sphere collision on only your doing it will an angle. If the difference in angle is less than the sum of both vehicles half angle bounds, no pass.

You occupy a portion of the tube, the tube itself is large and you are on this
hover bike type of thing and you rotate on the inside surface of the tube.

Unfortunately math is not my best subject *has an embarassed look*.
The tube to me looks like a series of curves so I guess I'd had to figure out
which section of the tube the player is in and then do the fancy math to figure
out where exactly in the section the player is?

This sounds like it could get complicated quick,
especially if I want to integrate a physics engine (ODE for example) or an external collision detection engine into it.

I'd probably have to tinker with OpenGL for awhile to since matrices in that
can get confusing at times.

[Edited by - Razor89 on October 19, 2006 6:26:37 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!