• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

HDR - Mixing textures

This topic is 4234 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been reading about adding some HDR to a demo I'm creating to test some nice visual effects. I figured, that adding HDR would be a really nice touch as these effects deal with lighting. However, the effect deals with no textures. Everything is generated on the fly. There was a comment made in a previous GameDev thread where a person felt any scene would benifit from HDR, reguardless if it had HDR textures or not. So my question is, would there be a huge discrepency between HDR textures vs non-HDR textures in the same scene? I was thinking about only putting HDR textures on things that would have great effect on light, like a stained glass window.

Advertisement
I would say no, I think HDR is not about HDR textures on models(they don't help the lighting at all, unless you want to make shiny objects "automatically"[wihtout lighting them],not even considering their size on the disk :) ), it's about HDR computations(lighting, etc..)

HDR textures are only needed if the texture has a High Dynamic Range (well, duh!), e.g. a deep blue sky with a bright sun, or the aforementioned stained-glass windows. Most surfaces where textures are used in games (walls and stuff) don't have such contrasts, yet lighting them with HDR is still useful because there is a contrast between a plain wall in deep shadow and the same plain wall in direct sunlight.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!