• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

HDR - Mixing textures

This topic is 4140 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been reading about adding some HDR to a demo I'm creating to test some nice visual effects. I figured, that adding HDR would be a really nice touch as these effects deal with lighting. However, the effect deals with no textures. Everything is generated on the fly. There was a comment made in a previous GameDev thread where a person felt any scene would benifit from HDR, reguardless if it had HDR textures or not. So my question is, would there be a huge discrepency between HDR textures vs non-HDR textures in the same scene? I was thinking about only putting HDR textures on things that would have great effect on light, like a stained glass window.

Advertisement
I would say no, I think HDR is not about HDR textures on models(they don't help the lighting at all, unless you want to make shiny objects "automatically"[wihtout lighting them],not even considering their size on the disk :) ), it's about HDR computations(lighting, etc..)

HDR textures are only needed if the texture has a High Dynamic Range (well, duh!), e.g. a deep blue sky with a bright sun, or the aforementioned stained-glass windows. Most surfaces where textures are used in games (walls and stuff) don't have such contrasts, yet lighting them with HDR is still useful because there is a contrast between a plain wall in deep shadow and the same plain wall in direct sunlight.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement