Video Driver & memory infos

Started by
3 comments, last by Ishraam 17 years, 6 months ago
Hello all ^^ , for capabilities & memory management reason, I need to be able to know the user's GFX card driver, and other information about video memory (max, available) . How do you handle it ?
Advertisement
Geezz, I just found an answer for the driver'n stuff info.

It might help others too so here it is :
   glGetString(GL_VENDOR);         glGetString(GL_VERSION);         glGetString(GL_RENDERER); 

which returns something like
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Version: 2.0.3
Renderer: GeForce Go 6800/PCI/SSE2

I am still after getting information about the user video memory (see first post), so let me know if you have a clue.
I'd like some info about video memory for my engine init code too, but have had no luck so far.
hackerkey://v4sw7+8CHS$hw6+8ln6pr8O$ck4ma4+9u5Lw7VX$m0l5Ri8ONotepad++/e3+8t3b8AORTen7+9a17s0r4g8OP
There is no way to query the amount of video RAM in OpenGL. And this is done on purpose. In the early days of hardware 3D, when you still had to do the VRAM management yourself, knowing the amount of VRAM was essential. Today, it's absolutely irrelevant. Memory management is entirely done by the driver, and you shoudn't even care about the internals.

Just add quality settings, where the user can select texture resolution, compression, etc. If the game runs too slow, let the user select a lower quality preset.
Ok, that answered the question. Thanks Yann ! ^_^

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement