• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

What is a "3D Modeler?"

This topic is 4233 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I noticed in the latest GameDev newsletter that the most sought after person in the gaming industry is a 3D Modeler. (See the results of the poll.) What exactly does a 3D modeler do? I'll admit that I'm totally ignorant of the whole thing, so please don't rip into me for my ignorance. 8^) -Kirk

Advertisement
As you are trying to correct your ignorance it wouldn't make sense to rip into you for that.

However, I will rip into you for not really using google. If there's really anything you ever want to know about anything, just do a google search for *subject wiki* where subject is the topic "3d modeler" and anything in between the asterisk is entered into google.

The first two links using that search are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_computer_graphics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_model

The rest look like they talk about specifi 3d modeling programs which of course will also help.

a 3D Modeler is a person who uses various 2d and 3d apps to construct objects, animals, people, etc for use in a 3D Game. 3D being that you can rotate around the object in any direction and see the whole item. Not just 1 view at a time.
They construct these items in what is called a Mesh, kind of like constructing a base for paper mache out of chicken wire. But more precise and controllable.

Such 3D Mesh/Editing applications are:
3d Studio Max
Maya
Lightwave
Blender
trueSpace
Rhino
etc.

I hope this answers your question.

You can get a very nice free 3d modeller suitable for making levels at Delgine.com It's called DeleD. If you want to try your hand at animated things, Milkshape or Fragmotion.

www.delgine.com
www.fragmosoft.com

DeleD has a lite version that is free and can be used forever. The other two are on 30 day trials but very cheap to register.

Thanks for the amazingly fast replies!

Yes, I should have Googled for it. My apologies.

It would seem that a 3D modeler is more or less a sculptor. I wondered if this person was responsible for the art itself or if they took other's art and converted it to 3D. It looks like this person is an artist and technical person simultaneously, correct?

-Kirk

Quote:
Original post by kirkd
It looks like this person is an artist and technical person simultaneously, correct?
Correct. But more artist. The more you understand the technical aspects of it though, the better you are at making cleaner models, and making nice stuff that fits within the limits for the project you are working on.

I agree with that statement too. yes a 3D Modeler has to be artistically talented. But it does help to know the ins and the outs of the technical side.
The more you know about each aspect of the game development process, the less people you need to hire. But on the flip side there are those companies which hire people for their specific talents because they are good at what they do and nothing else.

For instance, I know a lot about computers, but I don't know everything. SO therefore, I am teaching myself programming to learn more, but I know nothing about the physics in games yet. SO I would hire someone who already knew that info.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!