my app's only drawing parts of what has to be drawn

Started by
12 comments, last by stenny 17 years, 5 months ago
Hello, Each time I start my game only parts of what has to be drawn are actually drawn. The rest is empty, the colour of which I cleared the screen with. And the strange thing is...each time I use my N64 emulator, or the screensaver is used...the parts that are drawn change. These are some of the screens I got: Off course that's not what it's supposed to be. It's a 3d room with brown and grey tiles. But you can't see that ;). At one time I could really see a part of the floor, but the above pic doesn't resemble anything at all. Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be? -Stenny
What do I expect? A young man's quest to defeat an evil sorceror while discovering the truth of his origins. A plucky youngster attended by her brutish guardian. A powerful artifact which has been broken into a small number of artifactlets distributed around the world.What do I want? Fewer damn cliches. - Sneftel
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by stenny
Each time I start my game only parts of what has to be drawn are actually drawn. The rest is empty, the colour of which I cleared the screen with. And the strange thing is...each time I use my N64 emulator, or the screensaver is used...the parts that are drawn change.

Are you clearing all the needed buffers correctly (z/depth buffer, target buffer)? This might explain why the drawn parts change when you run other applications.

JFF
Are you clearing the Z-Buffer every frame?
Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.
I'm not using a ZBuffer, but I'll have a look at my display clear function.

-Stenny

EDIT

Ok I normally use this function:

BOOL cGraphics::ClearDisplay(long Color)
{
if(m_pD3DDevice == NULL) {
return FALSE;
}
if(FAILED(m_pD3DDevice->Clear(0, NULL, D3DCLEAR_TARGET, Color, 1.0f, 0))) {
return FALSE;
}

return TRUE;
}

But when I tried this one:

BOOL cGraphics::Clear(long Color, float ZBuffer)
{
if(m_pD3DDevice == NULL) { return FALSE; }
if(m_ZBuffer == FALSE) { return ClearDisplay(Color); }
if(FAILED(m_pD3DDevice->Clear(0, NULL, D3DCLEAR_TARGET | D3DCLEAR_ZBUFFER, Color, ZBuffer, 0))) { return FALSE; }

return TRUE;
}

it works better. Now it looks like this:

-Stenny
What do I expect? A young man's quest to defeat an evil sorceror while discovering the truth of his origins. A plucky youngster attended by her brutish guardian. A powerful artifact which has been broken into a small number of artifactlets distributed around the world.What do I want? Fewer damn cliches. - Sneftel
Quote:Original post by stenny
I'm not using a ZBuffer, but I'll have a look at my display clear function.

If you're not using it, make sure you are turning it off using D3DRS_ZENABLE.
Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.
I've sort off had the same issue, make sure you clear all the buffers you create.
Ok. Here goes:

1) I call function BOOL cGraphics::SetMode(HWND hWnd, BOOL Windowed, BOOL UseZBuffer, long Width, long Height, char BPP) with this: m_Graphics.SetMode(GethWnd(), TRUE, FALSE);

2) In side SetMode() is this piece of code:

if((m_ZBuffer = UseZBuffer) == TRUE){	d3dpp.EnableAutoDepthStencil	= TRUE;	d3dpp.AutoDepthStencilFormat	= D3DFMT_D16;} else {	d3dpp.EnableAutoDepthStencil	= FALSE;}

When I check with Intellisense, EnableAutoDepthStencil ánd m_ZBuffer are both 0.

3) I give a call to ClearDisplay() with the code in my above post.

As far as a I know I don't use any buffers except for D3DCLEAR_TARGET, which I Clear...

-Stenny

[Edited by - stenny on October 18, 2006 2:43:23 PM]
Take a look at this.

I think you should do like them but disabling the z-bufferring instead.

presParams.EnableAutoDepthStencil = FALSE;

Then create the device with those presentation parameters. Next step would be to disable Z-buffer.

// Turn on the zbuffer   gD3dDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_ZENABLE, D3DZB_FALSE );

Then clearing the Z-buffer will not be relevant but I'd do it anyway just to be sure (and remove it if it was really a performance problem).

gD3dDevice->Clear(0,NULL,D3DCLEAR_TARGET | D3DCLEAR_ZBUFFER,D3DCOLOR_XRGB(255,255,255),1.0f,0);
with that last image, it looks like you are staring at the farplane..how large is your geometry?
-Lucas
well I haven't even covered farplanes or frustrum thinging (or whatever it's called). The geometry consists of 8 meshes; 4 corridors and 4 rooms. I don't know how big exactly these meshes are because I got them from my book, but I guess a room's about 2000x2000x1500?

I don't really see why you asked though, since you don't really measure wíth anything in 3D. it could be 2000 metres but also 2000 miles, 2000 micrometers or 2000 inches.

-Stenny

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement