Sign in to follow this  

Perfect squares

This topic is 4073 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all, I have a program due in one of my classes in 2 days and I have a problem. I understand what a perfect square is and how to check for it mathematically but how can you check to see if the result of a square in C++ is an integer value? Thanks for the help :)

Surely the +0.5 isn't necessary in this case, since you're just checking for integerness instead of rounding? I know it's the standard reflex in a floored argument ;).

I think you can also do return ((sqrt(x)+epsilon)%1.0)<(2*epsilon) – epsilon being a suitable small constant to allow for floating-point arithmetic to 'miss' slightly.

Quote:
Original post by Bob Janova
Surely the +0.5 isn't necessary in this case, since you're just checking for integerness instead of rounding? I know it's the standard reflex in a floored argument ;).

Well, it's a matter of robustness. It could be the case that on some system sqrt(49) is 6.999999999999999934, and then floor would convert that to 6. If you don't want to make assumptions on the type of errors that floating-point functions have, rounding is safer than flooring.

Here's an interesting alternative. Invoke this with any unsigned integer type. It might work with doubles too, but I haven't thought too much about it.
#include <climits>

template <typename U>
bool is_square(U x){
const int num_bits = CHAR_BIT*sizeof(U)/2;
U base=U(1)<<(num_bits-1);
U y=0;
for (int i=0; i<num_bits; ++i){
y+=base;
if(y*y>x)
y-=base;
base>>=1;
}
return y*y==x;
}

This topic is 4073 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.