Game Create first or Company Create First?

Started by
15 comments, last by Dan Verssen 17 years, 6 months ago
My friend and I want to start our own game making company, but we didn't make our first game yet, and actually we're still learning like the basics of game making. But should we first make our first game, and then create our game company, and find a publisher/investor or should we first create our game company, and find a publisher/investor and then after getting the money, make our first game?
Advertisement
I think this should be more in "The Business of Game Development" Forum. To answer your question though, I don't see why you couldn't do both at the same time. At the very least get the basics of the company going by registering the name with the state. Once the company exists, it can say sit idle while you and your partner make the game.

A question though. What kinda game are you making for you to need a publisher/investor. Are you aiming for a commercial AAA quality game or something "simple" but polished that you can sell easily and quickly? The scope of the development of the game should be fleshed out in detail then that way the path of: game first, company first, both at the same time can be answered more precisely.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

If you're still trying to figure out what you're doing, I'd say start making games first. Making games that people want to play, and will make money, is no easy task, and today can usually take a team of professional developers and thousands, if not millions of dollars.

Take small steps towards your goal, start by you and your friend getting together and making some small games, stuff like PONG, Tetris, etc, until you feel more comfortable with your skills and work your way from there.

Good Luck.
How are you going to get someone to give you money without a demonstration that your game actually works?
Well, you know, companies have actually been made just on an idea, but you need to be a hack of salesman to do that.

I imagine if you have everything laid out pretty well, you can get investors. And what I mean by "well laid out" I mean, a business plan, and detailed outline of the game including drawings, test market research, peer reviews, and a good looking Suit!
Hello,

Im not exactly sure how serious you are about this, as you come off like you are quite young to be persuing heavy business, but if thats your desire:

Register your business, this is going to cost anywhere from $500-1500 (depending on scope of trademarks, and the costs in your area). Then you want to go to your bank and apply for a business loan. They are probably going to expect you to put 20% down on it right there, so if your asking for $100,000, they will expect you to contribute $20,000 right then and there. You will also need a business plan, etc, as mentioned before. If you are going for a simple game, you could probably get away with taking out a $20k loan (so you only have to come up with 4k out of pocket right away).

Then you go about developing your game, once you have a nice demo to show for your work, hopefully you can get a publisher to take it. He will then (hopefully) pay you to complete the game and then some, with a trickle of royalties as icing.
Quote:Original post by Moolkye
Well, you know, companies have actually been made just on an idea, but you need to be a hack of salesman to do that.

I imagine if you have everything laid out pretty well, you can get investors. And what I mean by "well laid out" I mean, a business plan, and detailed outline of the game including drawings, test market research, peer reviews, and a good looking Suit!

this isn't exactly true, companies have been created yes, investors won't give you anything unless you have something to show these days though, which means: a darn good prototype or one heck of a track record.

during the IT boom investors shoveled money into practically anything but those days are over.

for the OP:

your first game will NOT make any money at all. your best bet is to make a few freeware games first to actually learn the trade (if anyone even plays your first game for more than a few hours you should be extremely satisfied). getting your first publisher practically requires a finnished or close to finnished game.

you want to start small with simple games, snake, tetris, asteroids, breakout, etc, once you got a firm grasp on how to actually make games you can either go with a bigger project (time consuming and thus quite risky), or multiple small but unique games that you can sell online for very small amounts of money ($5-$25). popcap does this and has a very large portfolio of small addictive games that are reasonably cheap (perfect for casual gamers or some fun during the lunch-break).
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
[The horse] ..................... [The cart]
If you have to ask the question, start making the game then worry about registering the company and pitching the idea.
thank you very much ^^, and right now we're thinking about starting with small games, perferably rpg games, and then we want to make quite alot of those. After that we have a goal of making a final MMORPG game, which was our primary goal until we realized that we need foundation beforehand.

I have another question though, I don't understand why it costs so much to make a game. I've been trying to do research to find out everything, since i am just a beginner. But apparently I can't find out why it costs so much to develop a game, (maybe there is some sort of logical answer that I don't see) but where does the money usually go to for the game development part? (sorry for asking such amateur questions)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement