[java] Sharp Java

Started by
50 comments, last by Sneftel 17 years, 5 months ago
I'm not posting to declare a flamewar between, neither it's a troll. I have good experience in Java, but never in C#. However some guys in the computer programming domain suggest that I'd better switch to C# as it's more capable in terms of library, more widespread and demanded by enterprise companies, and it's fast and sometimes it runs faster than native code, because optimization occurs at run time where the CRL can optimize for the machine the program is running on. I that true? if it's then can we assume that Java is nnear it's end. And by the way any real commercial application has ever been written in either Java or C#? I think both langs are for Academic use only or inside a lab.
Advertisement
I think I should direct you to this thread as it will answer most of your questions.

But! Seeing that all .NET languages compile to the same bytecode (correct if wrong) and Java and C# are very similar in function and code, maybe you might wanna to code in J#?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original post by eSam
I have good experience in Java, but never in C#. However some guys in the computer programming domain suggest that I'd better switch to C# as it's more capable in terms of library,

I don't know where they get that from. Java's standard API has had over a decade of development and testing. Some Java programmers even complain that it's too bloated because of all of the features it includes. I've never heard anyone complain that it's not capable.

Quote:more widespread and demanded by enterprise companies

That statement is false. Java is firmly entrenched in the enterprise world. C# is the newcomer there, but it is not even close to being more widespread. I have no numbers to back this up, but if you look through enterprise-related job announcements you'll get the real picture. C#'s strength is in the desktop market where Java has never really caught hold.

Quote:and it's fast and sometimes it runs faster than native code, because optimization occurs at run time where the CRL can optimize for the machine the program is running on.

The same can be said for Java. The Sun distribution contains the HotSpot virtual machine, which compiles bytecode to optimized native code at run time. HotSpot has had several iterations and has improved with each release.

Quote:if it's then can we assume that Java is nnear it's end.

Not even close.

Quote:And by the way any real commercial application has ever been written in either Java or C#? I think both langs are for Academic use only or inside a lab.

Thousands of commercial applications have been written with both languages in many different domains.

Aldacron said it all, so I'll just second his post.
Guys... it's time you get rid of that FUD about Java!
a.k.a javabeats at yahoo.ca
Thanks!

After reading your posts, following up the suggested links, and researching other resources, I came to a conclusion that C# is only an attempt to relplace or at least to gain attention as an MS propretary language. .NET as I understand can be served by any language that has a .NET compiler, and for the best of all there's managed C++.

Java's well formed syntax, and high portability make it a language of choice and for both enterprise and desktop, what can be better than Limewire? I wished that GoogleEarth was written in Java.

C# only resembles Java, and adds more complication and malformation to the structure so that it fits the .NET intermediate code or whatever, ...
Both Java and C# are alive and kicking (though not necessarily in exactly the same markets) and both are basically mandatory skills in today's world.

After reading your posts, following up the suggested links, and researching other resources, I came to a conclusion that C# is only an attempt to relplace or at least to gain attention as an MS propretary language.
C# is an ECMA and ISO standard. It's substantially less proprietary than Java.
Quote:
Java's well formed syntax, and high portability make it a language of choice and for both enterprise and desktop, what can be better than Limewire?
Clearly you've never done much with Limewire. Good god. I'd say Limewire is one of the standing applications out there that really honestly hurts Java's image.
Quote:C# only resembles Java, and adds more complication and malformation to the structure so that it fits the .NET intermediate code or whatever, ...
The usual term is expressivity -- the ability of a language to succinctly convey at a conceptual level the tasks that are being performed.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Careful young padawan. Reread those links again and carefully. Or Promit will come through here and slap you with the truth! [grin] (edit: I'm 8 minutes too late) Seriously, let's take a quick look at what you said.
Thanks!

After reading your posts, following up the suggested links, and researching other resources, I came to a conclusion that C# is only an attempt to relplace or at least to gain attention as an MS propretary language.

Not quite. C# is actually ANSI/ISO standard which means anyone can write a standard implementation. It's not a Microsoft-only language. Though MS puts alot of effort and resources into it.
Quote:.NET as I understand can be served by any language that has a .NET compiler, and for the best of all there's managed C++.

Allow me to slightly add to that. Yes, J#, C#, VB.net, Boo, F#, IronPython all can use the .NET library and because they all compile to the same bytecode you can even intermingle one language with another. But please please don't use managed C++ when you can use C#. Believe me you WANT to use C#.

Quote:Java's well formed syntax, and high portability make it a language of choice and for both enterprise and desktop, what can be better than Limewire? I wished that GoogleEarth was written in Java.

I'm not sure what GoogleEarth is written though I have a feeling it's Python (or partially Python) for some reason. I'm curious as to why you think GoogleEarth would be better if it were written in Java.

Quote:C# only resembles Java, and adds more complication and malformation to the structure so that it fits the .NET intermediate code or whatever, ...

C# and Java do resemble each other. But that's the keyword resemble. C# at this point in the game, language-wise, is a far more powerful language than Java (though that may change with Java 6). You should check the C# 3.0 spec (actually there's a thread about it if you search for it). Very flexible and powerful.

Don't knock C# because MS touts it rather publicly. It's a good language with a wonderful editor. C# works with Visual Studio (MS compiler) and Mono (open-source, Novell backed compiler). So technically C# is as open sourced as Java. It's just that MS' version of C# is more mature than Novell's version, but that's changing as well.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

GoogleEarth is wirtten in C++ and it uses the Trolltech lib for gui. Gfx is both OGL and DX.

Well it could be more portable and written only once instad of having a crash-every-moment linux port.

Something that nobody disagrees with is the fact that, what really counts, is your ability to solve problems using good OOP (and generally, programming) practices, in whatever language you decide to use.

And also, being proficient in more than one language helps a lot; If you can, learn Java, C#, and perhaps one or another scripting language, or languages like Python and Ruby. Being tied to a language may "tarnish" your ability to judge the best solution for a given problem.
a.k.a javabeats at yahoo.ca
Java still has plenty of years in its lifespan, it is not even out of its teens yet. Don't just listen to some people who talked like they know everything, do some research on what type of people is being hired by companies.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement