Free Linux Distros

Started by
3 comments, last by WiseElben 17 years, 6 months ago
Which Linux distros are free, and which cost money? I know Xandros charges... are there others?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I program in C++, on MSVC++ '05 Express, and on Windows. Most of my programs are also for windows.
Advertisement
There are dozens and dozens of distros, and almost all of them are totally free. You might want to Google "Linux distributions" because the first link that comes up is Distrowatch, and that is pretty much the end-all source for Linux distros. ^_^
Take a look at Wikipedia's comparison page. It compares cost as well.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Quote:Original post by EmrldDrgn
Which Linux distros are free, and which cost money? I know Xandros charges... are there others?

Xandros does not charge for its Open Circulation Edition. The OCE comes with everything Xandros has to offer except the commercial third-party software, printed documentation, and technical support from the company.

Linspire provides a similar knock-off called Freespire.

Most Linux distros are free. The commercial ones (ones you have to pay for) include Red Hat, SuSE, Mandriva, Linspire, and as you mentioned, Xandros. Most of these are targetted at business uses in which companies demand support, documentation, and indemnification (they want someone they can sue when something goes wrong) and don't want their employees to spend all ther time trying to get basic things to work (as opposed to, say, playing solitaire or minsweeper).

Oh, and although you can obtain most Linux distros for no money, you usually still have to pay. Remember your time is the most valuable thing you have.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Visit distrowatch.org. Most linux distros are free.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement