RPG Classes for My Future Game

Started by
45 comments, last by DarkMortar 17 years, 5 months ago
Allow players to change their classes and skills easily, pay a small amount of money and you can change your classes (just like World of Warcraft). Players loses the ability to change classes once he/she goes into an elite class, since they should be quite knowledgeable with their class and the game in general.
Advertisement
Yes my game will allow class changes, but im not worried about that until very late stages when its important.

As far as the other system, it has some good names i might use :). But i dont wanna steal other ppls works.
DarkTech Software.
It's not stealing.

I just want to see it used.

But if you don't use it, at least include remorts!
----------The universe is, in reality, an incredibly long and complex setup for a joke that is so infinitely stupid that humans cannot percieve it....That's what makes it funny.*On April 1st, will change name of every topic created by me to "WHOAH! BEST GAME IDEA EVER! READ ME MORON!!"...Or not.
Quote:Original post by CIJolly
For me, 8 hours a day would be about what I could achieve in a holiday. During the university year, there literally wouldn't be enough hours in a day to fit in class, study, sleeping, eating, and 8 hours coding. What do you do for a living Kest? Indie game developer?

Ahh, you must still be a youngster ;)

I have about five hours a day for a normal job. Other than that, this is what I live for. I probably didn't get eight in while I was taking college classes either, but that was so long ago.
Quote:Original post by Kest
Quote:Original post by CIJolly
For me, 8 hours a day would be about what I could achieve in a holiday. During the university year, there literally wouldn't be enough hours in a day to fit in class, study, sleeping, eating, and 8 hours coding. What do you do for a living Kest? Indie game developer?

Ahh, you must still be a youngster ;)

I have about five hours a day for a normal job. Other than that, this is what I live for. I probably didn't get eight in while I was taking college classes either, but that was so long ago.

That's a good life, I spend more time at work then at home :(

Don't worry too much about name stealing, I think there are more Orcs races Warrior classes then you can count. It is the implementation of the classes and progression thats more important.
It's brilliant in the holidays, I can get an enourmous amount done. But during the semester... if I let myself code, then it's incredibly difficult to stop thinking about a new feature to add, or a fix for a problem that has been bugging me, when I'm supposed to be focusing on memorising one of a million nonsensical tongue twister drug names or the symptoms of an obscure disease I'm going to encounter once in my entire clinical career. No points for guessing which is more fun.
Me again, lol.

I made up a quick little chart with some makeshift red lines to just show where they point for now.

In the beginning of the game, the user selects his "role." The role is either SENTINEL(defensive),CHAMPION(balanced),ENFORCER(offensive),ROGUE(special), or POWERS(magic). And selecting one determines what your armor certifications are and the different rates at which your skills, vs health ect rates are per level or 2nd-3rd level. By (level 15?) the player can then choose his first CLASS. A class can only be choosen amoung what his role allows, as my chart displays with the red lines. So basically if you choose CHAMPION you can and of the adjacent boxes. You can be a soldier or knight, or a vanguard, healer, duelist, or avenger. The duelist and avenger are more in between champion and enforcer. But the enforcer cannot be a knight or soldier, but he can be a mercenary or berserker. Dark Powers can be played by either powers or rogue, because dark magic is "sorcery" which is self-practice of magic, usually bad compared to well-trained wizards in the academy. So a rogue would be more sly and choose dark-powers or a speciality class like intelligencer(spy). There are still names i may change. And after the CLASSES, by level 50+ you choose one ELITE CLASS which i do not have on the chart, and with elite classes, anyone can choose any of them. Elite classes only introduce VERY SPECIFIC weapon abilites and skills. Such as "Pistoleer" has only pistol skills and abilities, so its a weapon speciality. This gives players an extra bonus to their character for more fun. So if you want to mainly use rifles, then you train in Rifleman. But if you dont care for using weapons as much, you could be Tamer and have a pet to help you.

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/7988/cosmosclassesii8.png
DarkTech Software.
I really liked the freedom of the SWG system, even though it had serious flaws. I started reading your idea and it sounded a lot like SWG, including the elite professions proposed, but I dont know if the general public heard about the elite professions.

All I want to say to you is don't fall into the SWG and WoW trap of levels or boxes that have no new content. I recently started playing EQ2 (again), and I really like that you get something every level. It's a welcome change to the way WoW and SWG work.
The reason it sounds a lot like SWG, lol, was well I played and subscribed to it for 2.5 years until their new NGE :P. I had a jedi too, lol.

It used to be my favorite game, it was so free-flow and free roam.

My difference, it that I let you control how many skill pts you spend on certain abilitys to make it better. Kinda like the wow talent trees(even tho i never played wow, but i saw the trees on a website). But i mix it up, certain proffs have certain weapon certs.

My question, is... "What is content?" I mean I thought amount of variety, weapons, armor, proffesions, ect, was content. Unless you mean quest, I will have main quest, but its more up to the player to do them or not.
DarkTech Software.
Quote:Original post by DarkMortar
The reason it sounds a lot like SWG, lol, was well I played and subscribed to it for 2.5 years until their new NGE :P. I had a jedi too, lol.

It used to be my favorite game, it was so free-flow and free roam.

I hear you there. I played 60-70 hours a week, was the Doctor and Medic forum correspondent, and of course had a Jedi after completing all 32 professions (some more than once, scout about 6 times). I still loved it even after all that. The atmosphere of 100 odd people in a cantina in Anchorhead gave it a real living feeling, almost like a real pub... it was fantastic... then we all run outside to shoot at an AT-ST with our pistols... Ha!

Quote:
My difference, it that I let you control how many skill pts you spend on certain abilitys to make it better. Kinda like the wow talent trees(even tho i never played wow, but i saw the trees on a website). But i mix it up, certain proffs have certain weapon certs.

My question, is... "What is content?" I mean I thought amount of variety, weapons, armor, proffesions, ect, was content. Unless you mean quest, I will have main quest, but its more up to the player to do them or not.

I too am of course attempting to make my own version of what SWG should have been and should be today, but my skill system will be more like that of Diablo 2 / Titan Quest merged with a skill system like EQ2 and WoW, but I want to try and avoid Talent systems. It always feels like the designers didn't think about how to make the class systems diverse in the first place.

I can't say it will work yet though, and now that I have a family, I do occasionally get that "I wish I had worked on my game back then instead of trying to unlock Jedi..." syndrome...

Speaking of quests, I really like the amount of them that EQ2 has. I like that they have thought of the single player. WoW is awful for solo quests once you get past about level 20, and is therefore not much fun unless you like grinding or find a guild. I am level 32 in EQ2 and still loving it. I have my best friend (former SWG Medic correspondent) to duo with and we have a blast.

We wont stick with it though, and there are many reasons for that. The crafting system is woeful and pointless compared to SWG, the AI makes us cringe, and something about paying SOE money after what they did to SWG just seems wrong. So instead we will be working on our (pie in the sky) game instead. Oh well, it's a hobby.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement