Whats the best place to find 3D animators?

Started by
3 comments, last by ArchangelMorph 17 years, 6 months ago
Who are willing to work on hobbyist projects.. I'm maybe looking more towards students who are studying 3D animation-tyype courses since maybe they'll be more willing to commit to unpaid projects for the experience which will add to there portfolio than working professionals who more than likely will want to see the green (unless they are samaritans).. I'm gonna be working on a project soon where I'd like to consider the possibility of doing it 3D, which would require full character animation. Any help or assistance which could be offered would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
mostly, it is quite hard to convince people to join a project.
unless you pay them, of course.

i would recommend to do the modelling (and animations) yourself.
then build up your project with those.
yes, it will have crappy models and incomplete animations, but thats normal for "programmer's art".
complete your project until you have something to show up (a demo or sth).

then, the point has come to look for texture-artists and modelers.
you just integrate the awesome new models/textures into your project, and its almost done.

graphics are not important during developement. focus on the other things first.
people will see that your project is worth their work and join your team.
PolyCount is a whole community of 'em; though it's probably a tough sell to get a guy on your team. You'll likely need something concrete to convince them.
Quote:Original post by spartanx
PolyCount is a whole community of 'em; though it's probably a tough sell to get a guy on your team. You'll likely need something concrete to convince them.

it is. i actually regulary recommend people to go to gamedev.net when looking for help on your projects hwne they post there. the polycount forums are mostly made up of industry professionals and trust me, they're too busy to work on a free project. but its an excellent place to buildup your art skills imo.
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
mostly, it is quite hard to convince people to join a project.
unless you pay them, of course.

i would recommend to do the modelling (and animations) yourself.
then build up your project with those.
yes, it will have crappy models and incomplete animations, but thats normal for "programmer's art".
complete your project until you have something to show up (a demo or sth).

then, the point has come to look for texture-artists and modelers.
you just integrate the awesome new models/textures into your project, and its almost done.

graphics are not important during developement. focus on the other things first.
people will see that your project is worth their work and join your team.

Thanx for the reply..

I'm actually only asking for an "animator" since I will be doing at the modelling, texturing & rigging myself..
I've played around with 3D Studiomax for a couple of years now and even though I'm a programmer, my modelling skills are not too shabby for low poly stuff..

The problem I have is that I tried to learn animation for characters and the whole process just seemed so daunting.. I've picked it up and put it down about 10 times in the last year all because as soon as I start I just feel so lost.. Mind you thats how I felt before I learned some tricks to modelling so maybe its my method of learning which isn't working for me..

At any rate I would like to get at *least* one animator to help me because although graphics dont matter during the initial stages of development, there's not much I can do in terms of getting a prototype of the game up and running without at least *some* character animations done (even if its only one or two)..

I will probably check the link you guys gave NEways (thanx guys) to see if I can get some help on learning animation myself.. If I can do everything myself then that would be grand.. (sorry i'm a bit selfish when it comes to working with my own IPs, i.e. i'll only ask for help when its imperative to do so..)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement