ATTN MOD, move to network forum plz: how to? online multiplayer (bomberman clone)

Started by
0 comments, last by Bob Janova 17 years, 6 months ago
I am doing a multiplayer online bomberman clone. Its in java but im using OpenGL for graphics. Obviously the game code isnt that hard and I can get that up and running not a problem (for single player). Now I want to make it so you can play against others over the net (up to 8 people per game). I wanted to do so players could create servers and join games similar to counter strike et al. Now I was going to have a MySQL database hold a list of all currently running servers, so when a user creates a server on thier machine it checks the db and updates it. Also when a player wants to join a game it gets a list of all servers open. I got a free webhost and it has mysql, but it doesnt support java. I dont know much about web side of things so would be greatful if someone could tell me a host with mysql that does support java, or give me another method or idea on how to do this. Also I am new to network programming (can work out how to connect to computers etc from tutorials) and so I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on designing the game main run code for incorporating multi player. Thanks. [Edited by - JinJo on October 20, 2006 10:23:49 AM]
Advertisement
You might want to head over to the Network & Multiplayer Gaming forum with this one.

A master server generally needs to be more complex than just a database (it needs to check that the servers in its list are still active and so on), but you could certainly prototype it that way (with a HTTP interface, through PHP I imagine if you're on a mySQL host, that individual servers use to notify the master of their status changes).

I think Counterstrike et al let players start their own servers, so you wouldn't necessarily need to host a permanent game yourself. You'd need a mechanism for 'trusted hosts' to get their games listed on the master server (otherwise no-one could see them), but the master server wouldn't need Java to do that. If you want to host a game server yourself, and you probably do, you just need a host that will let you run the server program – you don't need mySQL on the game server.

(Btw the server doesn't have to be in Java just because the client is, though it does make data structure reuse easier.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement