Meals

Started by
42 comments, last by ktuluorion 17 years, 6 months ago
Well, if I had my way this is what I'd be eating:

Breakfast:
Omelette with the works, bowl of cereal, loads of bacon and hash browns. And I don't mean no wimpy cereal either. I mean something like vector or oatmeal crisp.

Lunch:
Two bowls of soup and about four sandwiches. And some dessert.

Supper:
Some meal with a lot of meat, some potatoes (or rice), and some veggies(or salad). Maybe a bun. Also some dessert. Preferably a bread pudding.

In fact that is what I use to eat back when I was at the government funded housing. Now that I am in private housing it is understandably not as much.

Now why?

Breakfast: I haven't eaten since supper. Supper is at ~5..6. Breakfast is at ~6.30..8.00. That is over twelve hours.

Lunch: I've got people to be, things to see, places to do (You cannot really screw up that phrase). Lunch needs to be quick and sweet.

Supper: After a long day, I need to refuel.
[ Six Hour Game Contest | ( Thread | Blog | Wiki | 6hour Bio ) ][ Website | (Blog | Gallery ) ]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by jfclavette
And 'entrée' means 'starter', not 'main dish' damnit. I spent at least 5 minutes starring confused at the menu the first time I ate in an american restaurant.
Good grief, I didn't believe you until I looked it up. That's truly bizarre.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

So, judging from everyone's descriptions of these nonstandard "meals", we Americans actually do have them, we just don't call them by name.

My goal is to have at least one day a week in which I hit every single "meal" in the list on the Wikipedia Meals entry, with the exception of brunch because it is a replacement for breakfast and lunch.

I find this a bit confusing:
"Supper is the evening meal - ordinarily the last meal of the day, usually the meal that comes before dinner."
Erh, how can the "last meal of the day" come "before" anything?

Reading the entry on breakfast makes me really want to try making different styles of breakfast from around the world.

But anyway, I'm doing it. I'm having 2nd breakfast *as I type this*. This is amazing. First breakfast was had around 4:30 this morning (don't ask, I'm pissed off enough about the reason why I had to get up that early, the extra meals are the only thing keeping me from blowing up). I have provisions here for elevenses as well. I'll have to procure something for tiffin, but I think I can manage. Lunch is secure fer shur. I'm going to go with the British definitions on tea, because it feels more standardized and allows me to maximize the number of meals per day. So, afternoon tea (high tea is as bad as brunch, damn meal usurper) and dinner are uncertain. Supper will definitely happen. Dessert... gah, I'll have to prepare something when I get home, but I know there are things to be made. Evening snack is in the bag.

Okay, so my meal schedule for today is going to be:
4:30 breakfast - water, tang, cranberry juice, an egg, some crackers, and beef jerky (actually, all tallied up that makes for a mostly healthy, though a bit salty, breakfast)
9:30 2nd breakfast - coffee, sour creme donut (I know, I broke on the caffiene, but I love coffee)
11:00 elevenses - french cruller, water
12:00 lunch - beef stroganoff (found it in the fridge this morning, the folks made it last night when I was at a company function dinner)
1:00 tiffin - uncertain, I'll find something
2:30 afternoon tea - also uncertain (time chosen based on closing time of cafeteria)
5:00 dinner - again, uncertain
7:00 supper - whatever it is, I'll end up cooking it anyway.
9:00 dessert - probably brownies
10:00 snack - probably biscotti and hot chocolate

Holy crap, this is freaking awesome. There's so much action in that list! And a little bit of mystery! Will I be able to fill in the blanks in time? I'm actually really excited about this. I should start a blog or something.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

I tend to go for the 'eat when hungry' method of doing things, although due to living at home I generally have one fixed meal a day (5:30pm weekdays or 1pm sundays, which is "dinner"/main cooked meal for the rest of my family), the rest just kinda happen between the time of waking up and falling back into bed and depend on how much energy I expect my body to require at any given moment and any fixed up and coming food.

For example, on a tuesday we have a huge pasta meal at 5:30pm (well, mine is huge but thats by the by), so I prefer not to eat too much on teh run up to that and then can go for 8h to 12h without needing to consume anything afterwards.

The rest of my meals are just hard to pin down as my sleep cycle is all over the place at the best of times as I prefer to run about 6h to 8h out of phase with the rest of my family (so when my dad is going to work at 6am I'm considering bed and sleep, heh).
Sorry, being of British descent I must correct you:

Afternoon Tea should come at Tea Time... 1600.

kthxbi
[ Six Hour Game Contest | ( Thread | Blog | Wiki | 6hour Bio ) ][ Website | (Blog | Gallery ) ]
Quote:Original post by DakeDesu
Sorry, being of British descent I must correct you:

Afternoon Tea should come at Tea Time... 1600.

kthxbi

"roughly 3 o'clock" suits my purposes better

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Brekky - Two eggs and some toast.

Then whilst at work its generally tea, water and a couple of bannanas in the morning.

Lunch - Sandwich, crisps, juice.

More tea, water and bannanas.

Dinner - Large meal, generally have exercised before hand so carbs and protein with a lot of salad.

Then beer.
Breakfast - two pieces of toast and a glass of water
Lunch - ham and cheese roll, chocolate, crisps and typically apple or orange juice
Dinner - largest meal of the day, changes a lot.
After dinner - bowl of fruit, apples, pears and grapes
I have ditched the concept of "meals" entirely.

I eat when I'm really hungry, not because of some time of the day or because others think they are hungry and think I should be, too..
and eat what I'm hungry for, not a "meal" that's made for all, and as much as I need to be no longer hungry - but nothing more (where "meal" would often interfere with the last one..) This may just be that I grab into the fridge and get some tomatoes and eat them as they are. At work I have most often quite a bunch of fruit with me.
My body appreciates that a lot more than the strange concept of meals, and distinctions between "meal" and "snack" etc.

The tale that breakfast is the most important meal of a day is complete BS to me. Often I won't be hungry before 10, sometimes 12 o'clock or even 2pm. And I ride my way to work by bike every morning.
In the past there was a time when I forced myself to eat something in the morning even if I wasn't hungry, because I thought "I MUST eat something, it's said you must!", often made me feel weak, caused gastro/intestinal and/or other problems...
Though, on days where I'm not hungry until 12 or so, I tend to drink big amounts of water.
Quote:Original post by DJ14IVI3
Quote:When only the freshest bacon will do! Are you sure you didn't mean "slopping pigs" because slaughtering a pig is a major undertaking. When I was a child, we slaughtered a pig at my grandmother's house to make linguisa and it took three extended families all weekend to accomplish. I was around 10 years old so I don't recall all the details, but there were around 20 adults involved in the entire process - from the killing, to the cleaning to the preparation of the meat and the stuffing of the sausage.

My family used to slaughter pigs up till five years ago (we moved and we don't have a pig pen now) and it didn't take us nearly as long. Six or seven adults were capable of slaughtering and processing two pigs in a day, provided they start at daybreak.

I don't doubt it. Your family had experience, we didn't. We had to rely on the memories of grandma and grandpa. This was back in the 1970's. My point was that it would be quite a task to slaughter a pig before breakfast. That reminds me. My grandfather used to have a flock of sheep and he would slaughter a ram on occaission and hang the severed head on a nail near the door of the back kitchen. Those bloody ram heads used to scare the dickens out of me as a child.

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement