Sign in to follow this  
aboteler

OpenGL Basic OpenGL - Render to FBO, Readback Texture Help

I am new to OpenGL and have just started trying to work with it. My goal in this program is to render a square to an offscreen buffer using a single color with float precision and then readback the data. The compilation is successful. However when I execute the program I get an GL error of illegal operation when I try to attach the texture to the frame buffer. I have not been able to figure out why I get this error here. Plus, the next error is an invalid enumeration when I try to readback the pixels from the texture. Any help will be greatly appreciated, Aaron fyi: source code #ifdef HAVE_CONFIG_H #include <config.h> #endif #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <assert.h> #define ASSERT assert #include <GL/glew.h> #include <GL/glut.h> typedef unsigned int glutConfig_t; const int X_DIMENSION = 16; const int Y_DIMENSION = 16; const glutConfig_t theGlutDisplayMode = GLUT_DOUBLE | // Double Buffering GLUT_RGB; // Color Model const GLenum theTextureFormat = GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB; static GLuint theFrameBuffer; static GLuint theFrameBufferTexture; static float theImage[X_DIMENSION * Y_DIMENSION]; static void CheckOpenGLStatus(char* strFile, int line) ... #define CHECK_OPENGL CheckOpenGLStatus(__FILE__,__LINE__) static void CheckFrameBufferStatus(char* strFile, int line) ... #define CHECK_FRAME_BUFFER CheckFrameBufferStatus(__FILE__,__LINE__) int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { glutInit( &argc, argv ); glutInitDisplayMode( theGlutDisplayMode ); glutInitWindowSize( X_DIMENSION, Y_DIMENSION ); glutCreateWindow( "Simple Example" ); glewInit(); glDisable( GL_DITHER ); // Dither is on by default but not needed CHECK_OPENGL; glDisable( GL_DEPTH_TEST ); CHECK_OPENGL; glGenFramebuffersEXT(1,&theFrameBuffer); CHECK_OPENGL; glGenTextures(1,&theFrameBufferTexture); CHECK_OPENGL; glBindTexture(theTextureFormat,theFrameBufferTexture); // bind texture CHECK_OPENGL; // turn off filtering wrap modes glTexParameteri(theTextureFormat, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST); glTexParameteri(theTextureFormat, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST); glTexParameteri(theTextureFormat, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_CLAMP); glTexParameteri(theTextureFormat, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_CLAMP); CHECK_OPENGL; // define texture parameters glTexImage2D(theTextureFormat,0,GL_FLOAT_R32_NV, X_DIMENSION,Y_DIMENSION, 0,GL_LUMINANCE,GL_FLOAT,NULL); CHECK_OPENGL; // attach texture to frame buffer color 0 (RED) glFramebufferTexture2DEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0_EXT, theTextureFormat, theFrameBufferTexture, 0); CHECK_OPENGL; // reports Illegal operation CHECK_FRAME_BUFFER; // setup projection glClearColor(0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0); glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION); glLoadIdentity(); glOrtho(0, X_DIMENSION, 0.0, Y_DIMENSION, -5, 50); CHECK_OPENGL; // render glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT); glColor3f(5.0, 0.0, 0.0); { glBegin(GL_POLYGON); glVertex3f(2,2,0.0); glVertex3f(8,2,0.0); glVertex3f(8,8,0.0); glVertex3f(2,8,0.0); glEnd(); } glFlush(); CHECK_OPENGL; // Swap buffers (display the rendered image). glutSwapBuffers(); CHECK_OPENGL; // transfer texture from FrameBuffer to local memory glReadBuffer(GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0_EXT); glReadPixels(0,0,X_DIMENSION,Y_DIMENSION, GL_FLOAT_R32_NV,GL_FLOAT,theImage); CHECK_OPENGL; // report illegal operation CHECK_FRAME_BUFFER; { unsigned xx, yy, lineOffset; printf("theImage\n\n"); for(yy = 0; yy < Y_DIMENSION; ++yy) { lineOffset = yy * X_DIMENSION; for(xx = 0; xx < X_DIMENSION; ++xx) { printf("%2.2f ",theImage[lineOffset + xx]); // prints all zeros }; printf("\n"); }; printf("\n"); } return EXIT_SUCCESS; }

Look to the FBO spec for the cases glFramebufferTexture2DEXT will generate an invalid operation error.
Quote:
From the FBO spec
INVALID_OPERATION is generated if the current value of FRAMEBUFFER_BINDING_EXT is zero when FramebufferTexture{1D|2D|3D}EXT is called.
I don't see you binding the framebuffer anywhere.

When posting source code, use the [code][/code] tags for short snippets and [source][/source] tags for longer pieces. See the Forum FAQ for more info.

And welcome to GDNet! [smile]

Thanks for the info and link on the framebuffer. I decided to take a step back in the code and try only render to an offscreen buffer and readback. I have it working except on the readback the values are clamped.

Thanks,

Aaron