My TP system

Started by
9 comments, last by Ripple in Reality 17 years, 5 months ago
Hello Gamedev.net! This is my first Thread. I'm currently designing a Turnbased strategy RPG. In the game in which a character gets 7 stats. These range from Str. to Dex. to Mana. Each turn a character uses ability's to defeat their opponents. Each character is given a certain amount of TP (time points) determined by thier Dex. So if say you wanted to move 2 spaces and then attack then it would use up 7 TP (2 TP per move space, 3 for the attack). If not all of a characters TP is used in a turn then it move on to the next round. TP also determines turn order. Whoever has the most TP at the beginning of a round goes first and second highest does next and so on. I'm trying to balence the system to tanking the Dex. stat by capping it at 50 and making TP = Half Dex. So is it balenced? Any advice? I'm planning on prototyping soon so I would like some advice so I don't have to revamp the entire system because it's broken. For more information please Email me at FFman13@aol.com
RPGs, Strategys, MMORPGsI'm a Game designer with a need for the perfect combination of max stats and pure skill
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Ripple in Reality
So if say you wanted to move 2 spaces and then attack then it would use up 7 TP (2 TP per move space, 3 for the attack).

I'm trying to balence the system to tanking the Dex. stat by capping it at 50 and making TP = Half Dex. So is it balenced? Any advice?

Well, we can't really know if it's balanced, because that depends on how the stats are distributed. Basically, your system is equivalent to saying "if you increase your STR by 6, you do the damage equivalent to an additional attack". If your characters usually do few but strong attacks, and gaining 6 points in a stat is easy, then this system is unbalanced. If your characters casually do many low-powered attacks, or gaining 6 points in a stat is difficult, then the system is balanced.

To determine the balance of a game, it is usually best to think of it this way: if I am given an action (for instance, gaining 6 DEX), what actions are equivalent to that action in terms of character power? Is it equivalent to gaining 6 STR? is it equivalent to gaining 6 INT? And so on...
I'd go ahead and do what you plan to do, becuase it's hard to say whether something is balanced or not without seeing it in action and testing it. I'd make you game prototype and leave it open to be altered as you need. THe whole point of a prototype is to test it and fix what needs to be fixed. It' would be even easier to alter if you kept a set of constants that you can find easily.

Such as:
const int DexDivide = 2;...TP = (Dexterity / DexDivide);...

So in the even you find that only halfing the dexterity isn't enough, you could change DexDivide to be equal to 3 instead, and make TP be equal to one third of the Dexterity.

Similarily, you could keep constants for TP usage in attacking and moving.
const int TP_MovePenalty = 2;const int TP_AttackPenalty = 3;...if(-Player attacks-){   TP - TP_AttackPenalty;}if(-Player moves-){   TP - TP_MovePenalty;}...

In any case, you must test the game to be certain it is balanced. If you really need to know before you start programming it, you could draw a grid on a pice of paper, and act it out. It might give you some insight into it.
It doesn't sound very balanced in the sense that each attribute is equally useful. Seems Dex is partially the way to go no matter the kind of character; Strength won't do you any good when doing magickry and Mana won't help you crushing skulls, but Dex makes you more efficient at both, and pretty much anything else combat-wise, I'd suppose.

Tho like ToohrVyk said, it can be it's balanced, depending on other stuff. Might be tricky tho. Eg. if you're some jack-of-all-trades-esque character, Dex will suddenly become more useful, as focusing on other stats will make you specialize, while dex makes you better at everything, while a more specialized character might find dex to be about as useful as some attribute of his choice.

Depends on a lot of other stuff, and a lot of "if that's what you're going for" things and such. I'm sure it could work. Tho if it was I making something, I'd probably go for a more constant number of time points and instead let relevant stats affect speed somehow (either by letting stats affect the tp cost of different actions, how much stuff is performed per action (eg if your dex is 10 or more you get to strike twice per attack of some swashbucklery kind, while high strength might allow for more strikes with really huge hammers etc) or a combination of both).
I worked on a similar system some time ago. It has more detailed concepts but here's my 1 cent:
Why not have "constant" TP (maybe level variations) and decrease it according the executed action.
Eg. "Move"-action: DEX and SIZE (Faster and bigger chars use less TP)

Scenario:
constTP = 10
Rabbit.Dex = 15
Turtle.Dex = 5
Rabbit.Move() -> Rabbit.TP = Rabbit.TP-(constTP/Rabbit.Dex)
--------

@Gnarf: Sorry for ignoring your post ;D
Code is everything. Open your code.
You would have to make unused TP not carry over between rounds, or else limit the amount that can carry over. Otherwise the system will be broken.

Otherwise a player could hide and skip a whole bunch of turns to accumulate TP. Once they had enough up their sleeve, they could run out and kill every opponent without retribution.
on the game ive been working on characters get a set number of free moves and after that the tp/movent cost rises exponentially, theres also a maximum movement cap and max tp cap and characters are only allowed one attack per round but have multiple moves with diffrent tp cost and damage
Okay well my 7 stats are:
Str,Dex,Defence,Stamina,Intel,Resist,Mana
Str-For each point increases damage by 1
Dex-For each point increases TP by .5
Def-For each point increases damage reduction by 1
Stamina-For each point increases HP by 5
Intel-For each point Increases Magic damage by 1
Resist-For each point increases Magic damage reduction by 1
Mana-For each point increases MP by 3 and MP regen by .5

So say your a Warrior:
You may have 19 Str. 19 Def. and 6 TP
His attacks would take about 3 TP to use so if standing still he can use a regular attack twice. If he dumped all points into Dex. he would have 6 normal power attacks but the enemy's around him would probably have 19 Def. If he dumped into Str. He would do +31 damage and if say his foe had 19 Def. then he would hit for 31 damage every turn.

I agree with the TP cap maybe 3 times your max TP but still remeber that character just wasted away 3 turns. And if you were uncalculating you could be left with another foe who happens to be a healer who now uses some "All Ressurect" which brings the full might.

P.S. an all ressurect would use up A LOT of MP to make it impractical.

So any stats unbalenced? I'm planning on Prototyping soon with some lvl 1 characters. Thank you all for not flaming my vagueness.
RPGs, Strategys, MMORPGsI'm a Game designer with a need for the perfect combination of max stats and pure skill
Yeah, but your opponent would have just wasted three turns walking around looking for you, or getting into a position where they could attack you. Only they wont have the extra TP up their sleeve.

So being able so save up TP makes sense if you want ambush and hiding to be an effective strategy, less so if you don't.
This reminds me a lot of Fallout. In that game you had Action points which depended on your dexterity, but it was well balanced and other attributes were as important as dexterity.
Back to the topic, I think that how Fallout handled leftover action points is the best way to do it. In this system any APs you had left when you end your turn would add to your armor class (dodge modifier) during the enemy's turn, and when it was your turn again that AC bonus was gone and you were back to normal. This system made leftover APs useful and prevented exploitation of the system.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement