Sign in to follow this  
Raeldor

Wrapping Unmanaged Code in .NET

Hi All, I have written an engine in C++ and want to call it from a .NET application. Are there any tools that automatically wrap the c++ classes into C# classes so I can just use them as I would any C# class? Thanks Rael

I don't know of any tools to automatically do what you're talking about, but you can create a managed C++ class library to expose whatever you want. Or if you expose your engine as COM objects, managed languages should be able to interface with it also.

Guest Anonymous Poster
i remember having seen a tool some day that can be used to describe a native c++ (dll) interface and create managed wrapper code for it.

one thing i'd like to contribute is this link:
http://cache-www.intel.com/cd/00/00/21/93/219300_interop.pdf

it's a paper by intel detailing how to wrap their IPP (intel performance primitives) which are a set of native C functions in C#. The paper also gives a little bit of info about other ways of doing this (c++/cli wrapper, com callable wrappers). it contains a wealth of links. the .net marshaller is described in somewhat more detail which - to a degree - also applies when you're "only" using c++/cli to wrap your engine.
it's a starting point.

i'll keep looking for this tool i mentioned.. but i think the vast majority of people use some kind of c++/cli IJW ("it just works") wrapper to expose some managed classes.

Guest Anonymous Poster
also: recommended reading for creating managed wrappers in c++/cli:
http://www.courseptr.com/downloads/bonus/009638_BonusCh02.pdf
got me started in the "interop world".

Thanks guys. SWIG looks interesting, I'll definitely take a better look at that. I'm kind of on the fence at the moment whether to wrap my classes or to just use MFC to write my windows interface stuff.