Sign in to follow this  

Generating cubemap textures ...

This topic is 4075 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Does anyone know how to generate cubemap textures in 3D max? My artist guy generated a cubemapped texture from 3D max, but somehow I can't really reference the texture with texCUBE instruction in pixel shader. So, i'm thinking there might be another way of doing it in max. I know i can just generate it in the codes through d3d api, but i think there should be a way for an artist to generate cubemap texture?

to generate the 6 faces of a cubemap, just place a camera in the middle of your scene, set the FOV to 90 degrees (vertical AND horizontal, aspect ratio of 1), and point the camera parallel to each of the axes (+x -x +y -y +z -z), rendering six textures. Now some people combine these 6 textures into 1, but I wouldn't recommend it for large textures. I believe in MAX in order to get your camera aspect ratio to 1, your render target must have a 1:1 resolution, so 1024x1024 for instance.

This topic is 4075 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.