C++ or C#?

Started by
50 comments, last by Promit 17 years, 5 months ago
Hello everyone! I'm making a multiplayer game, style of Soldat and the new Liero clones... But I'm stuck, I don't know if I should do it in C++ or C#... I prefer C# by a million times, C++ is too complicated, but how would the performance be affected if I do it in C#? Thanks! [grin] PS: I meant C Plus Plus, but it doesn't let me display the pluses...
Advertisement
Couple things, firstly, there was a thread just a couple hours ago by the title of "C# or C++?". Before that, there have been quite litterally hundreds of threads addressing this same issue. Searching is a Good Thing.

Secondly, you've already answered your own question. You prefer C# by a large amount. Use it. Just go ahead and use it.
I'd say unless you are making some AAA title where you need to eek every last bit of performance out the machine by hand coding memory management and SIMD code .. go with what you like. For the style game you are trying to make, C# is more than enough. Going with what you are comfortable with and actually getting something done is much more important than getting a few more fps.

-Dranith
Sorry 'bout that... I would never have imagined that was such a popular topic... [embarrass]

But yeah, I Googled it a bit, thought about it, and yeah... C# [cool]
Thanks! [grin] (and sorry for being teh n00b)
Quote:Original post by Kixdemp
I prefer C# by a million times, C++ is too complicated, but how would the performance be affected if I do it in C#?
Performance would probably be (significantly?) better in C#.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by Promit
I prefer C# by a million times, C++ is too complicated, but how would the performance be affected if I do it in C#?

Are you TRYING to start a battle?
He asked. I answered. (And answered truthfully, I might add.)
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by Surg

Are you TRYING to start a battle?

Nope, but as it looks like he can handle c# much better than c++, the chances are big that he get better performance out of his c# work, than his c++ work. not to say, chances that he actually get the work done are much bigger then, too.
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

C#.

(I've just always wanted to answer something like that)
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
He asked. I answered. (And answered truthfully, I might add.)

The truthfulness of your statement has been

VERIFIED

By MaulingMonkeyTM, Incorperated.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement