Silly DirectX, Wheres My Debugging

Started by
2 comments, last by blaze02 17 years, 6 months ago
I recently reformatted my computer. I reinstalled the same DX SDK that I had before, the Dec. '04 SDK release (for compatibility). Before, in my Control Panel, I had a DirectX icon that allowed me to link with debug dll files. This DirectX icon is no longer in among the Control Panel icons. While I would like to get this icon back, all I really care about is linking with DirectX debug dll's. I'd rather not have to manually change all my projects to do this. Any ideas how to get the icon back in Control Panel?
-------Harmotion - Free 1v1 top-down shooter!Double Jump StudiosBlog
Advertisement
If you have a newer DirectX retail installed than the SDK version, you won't get the icon.

If your SDK is Aug06 or newer, the icon is now part of the "Programs/Microsoft DirectX SDK" part of the start menu, not "Control Panel".

Some older SDKs didn't automatically install the debug runtimes. The option to install them was included in the "Programs/Microsoft DirectX SDK" folder of the start menu.

I'm assuming that last one may apply to Dec. 04. It's still DirectX 9.0c, which is the latest runtime, which rules out the first option.
Ah, at least now I see why the icon wasn't installed. I am using the same setup as before (older SDK, most recent runtimes). I must have installed them in a different order. Interesting that it doesn't install the icon, it used to work fine for me with SDK version not equal to runtime version. In my start menu, I only have utilities, help, and the sample browser. I'll check to make sure I have the debug dll files installed. I guess I will just change the code to link to different dll's.

Thanks for the help.
That was easy enough. I went to add/remove programs, selected my DX SDK, and hit Change or Modify (whatever option was next to remove). The only aspects of the SDK that were not installed were the runtimes, release and debug. So I told it to install them as well. I'm assuming it was smart enough to not overwrite the newer release dll's.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement