Sign in to follow this  
Elijah Falling

[web] Which forum / discussion board do you recommend?

Hi, I would like to install a forum on my site. I have set up lots of phpbb2's in the past, but they just have too many security issues and it seems they have to write a new patch about every month after new exploits come out. So I don't want to go with them unless I absolutely have to. I like vBulletin, but I don't want to have to pay the $160 license, I would prefer something free like phpbb2. I have MySQL support but not Access. I'm not hosted on IIS so I can't use anything that uses ASP. I would prefer something for which there are a variety of skins available, and the skins should be highly customizable. So what would you guys recommend?

Yeah I don't like that one much either. I also found one called MyBB which is very similar to phpbb but crappier. I think I may just use phpbb after all. The thing is, the site will be somewhat of a controversial nature, which will make it a target for hax. I'll just have to put my faith in the security of the latest phpbb release.

The best adviceI can give you in that case it NOT to use any mods. That makes keeping up-to-date much easier.