Sign in to follow this  

[.net] XmlDocument load problem

This topic is 4075 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to be able to do the following: 1)Load and xml file into a XmlDocument object. 2)Select a node within this document. 3)save the selected node to a memorystream. 4)load this memorystream into another XmlDocument object. I though this would be simple but oh how wrong I was!! If I create a new XmlDocument object and add the selected node to it. Then save this document to an .xml file. I can then load it into a new XmlDocument object. But if instead of saving to an .xml file, I save to a memorystream, it will not load back into a XmlDocument object, I just get a "Root element is missing" error! Note: I have saved the memorystream out to a text file and it is exactly the same as the .xml file saved from the XmlDocument. I am completely lost on how to get this to work.

I am actually trying to get a new XmlDocument made up of the selected node. This is because I want to then transform it via xslt. The problem is that the xslt transform also complains of "Root node is missing". I thought by just loading it back into an XmlDocument I would loose some of the complexity and it would be easier to solve.

I have solved it.

I have to say that it was not particularly obvious that this could be done but hey, it's done now.

I simply had to pas the XmlNode.CreateNavigator() in to the XmlCompiledTransform.Transform method.

I am still puzzeled as to why it didn't work from the memorystream though, but I think the way I found to do it is more efficient anyway.

With the memory stream did you seek back to the beginning?

If you didnt then you could have had this

(Shoddy diagram)

<xml>Some random Node</xml>
^ current position of memory stream is at end of stream, so when you call

xmlDocument.Load(memoryStream);
its correct - there is no root element, because theres nothing after the current position in the stream.

So bewfore the load call try:

memoryStream.Seek(0,SeekOrigin.Begin);

and maybe that would work.

In theory anyways.......

N

This topic is 4075 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.