hardware - ref driver

Started by
2 comments, last by jollyjeffers 17 years, 6 months ago
What is the easiest way to create a function that switches between the hardware and the reference driver in d3d10? The only way I can think of now is to create two different devices, but that seems an ugly way to go...
Advertisement
I'm not quite sure what you want.

You can't switch to the reference device after you've created the device. You have to destroy and re-create the device.
You should be able to create two devices at once, however. So long as you only use one at a time, or they'll fight over the window. E.g. you could create both at startup, etc

But as jpetrie said, you need to destroy and re-create the device to switch device types.
You might want to have a look at how DXUT handles things. I've not got my devbox fired up right now, but all of the SDK samples have a "Toggle Ref" button iirc (one of the 3 standard HUD buttons). Tracing the code that's executed when the button is pressed should reveal the text-book method for switching between hardware/reference rendering.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement