Scenegraphs and multiple passes

Started by
14 comments, last by jffortin 17 years, 5 months ago
I'm expieriencing some problems with my scenegraph concept atm and i haven't came to a good solution yet so maybe you can help me. The biggest problem is that i don't know how to integrate multiple passes in the scenegraph as i don't want a seperate graph for every pass(as most nodes are identiacl in every pass). The best solution i thought of so far is using a static Switch-node, which traverses different children every pass. The problem with that is that it can get really ugly:

|
    [switch]
    ____|___
   |        |
[child1] [child2]
   |________|
        |
 [someOtherNode]

the problem is that someOtherNode has 2 parents which doesn't work in a mono parent tree(except i'd introduce a multiparent node that activates only one of it's parents but that seems hackish to me) So that solution sucks. This problem looks very common, so can sb point me to a better solution? Thanks in advance. regards, m4gnus
"There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't."
Advertisement
Your scene graph is probably good for describing spatial relationships between objects in your virtual environment, but it's also probably not the best solution for describing render-state relationships. So why not keep things separate?

Traverse the scene graph in order to obtain a list of visible objects, and then organize those into *another* graph that describes render-state relationships. That way you don't need to worry about mixing different applications for the same structure (in this case, the scene graph). So you use another graph, maybe a "render graph" and let *that* worry about multi-pass and other such things.

I've been doing some work on that front lately, and I've actualy worked a lot more with "render trees" than with traditional scene graphs. The good thing in this approach is that you can try to design a method for building the render tree (or graph) based only on an arbitrary list of (visible) objects, so in the end you have a very optimized way of rendering things, without "enforcing" a particular way of organizing those objects spatially. That way you can work with a scene graph, or with objects lists, or whatever. And, of course, it is expected that each graph only needs to worry about one thing (i.e. rendering or spatial) so you reduce overall complexity.

Hope this helps.

[]s,
M.
Quote:
Your scene graph is probably good for describing spatial relationships between objects in your virtual environment,

i'm not going to include any spatial relationship in my scenegraph, it only contains render-state changing nodes like materials,transformations,cameras,etc.

i thought this is the "traditional" scenegraph( like the one in the gamedev article on sgs)

regards,
m4gnus

"There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't."
My understanding of scene graphs hasalways been similar to what Ng was saying, scenegraphcs are spatial/orientation graphs, not render state graphs. So while transform and even camera orientation might be in there, material data would not. In general, the graph is ignorant as to how the items actually get rendendered. Personally, I use the graph to figure out what world elements are visible, and then those elements generate "renderables" which are placed in a queue. Thus, the renderable encapsulates all renderstate changes and multipasses and what not. Hope that helps.
Write more poetry.http://www.Me-Zine.org
For exactly the reasons outlined in this thread, I'd recommend using multiple "scene graphs" organized for each usage scenario. Ex. one for transform, one for spatial, potentially one for render state (although just sorting the render list is efficient enough in most cases), etc.
god i regret that i switched from my (hardcoded) system to a scenegraph.

Quote:
I'd recommend using multiple "scene graphs" organized for each usage scenario.

isn't that kinda overkill? one scenegraph just for transformations oO.

Quote:
although just sorting the render list is efficient enough in most cases

that is one of the reasons i switched to a scenegraph. The sorting is included
and i don't need to sort.

guess i'll abandon the the whole scenegraph thing. That all seems horribly complicated with very little benefit.

thanks anyway.

regards,
m4gnus
Using a true DAG (directed acyclic graph) for a "scene graph" is simply not practical for modern game development on modern hardware. In fact, the term "scene graph," while useful due to its historical usage, is misleading relative to the way most people (should) use it.

I (and many, many others) would recommend you think of it more like a "scene database" or more generically, "scene manager." Implementing it in terms of a DAG doesn't offer you much advantage and has quite a bit of disadvantage (as you're discovering with multiple render passes, a classic example of where scene *graphs* become less practical/intuitive).

Now, a DAG can be useful for certain scene management tasks, such as spatial (hierarchical) relationships, or complex material descriptions (if they're dynamically editable at a high level, otherwise "bake" them into a more compact representation).

Most of the scenegraph groupthink comes from the SGI Inventor days. While many APIs and middleware have attempted to propogate the thinking (most of them as extensions of Inventor thinking), the majority of major commercial game developers I'm aware of don't implement scene graphs anywhere near that literally.

Now, you're at least not making the most fundamental mistake, which is mixing renderstate control flow (in the form of a DAG) with spatial/hierarchical relationships (in the form of a DAG) into one unified DAG, which is the classic scene graph that most people implement (and are eventually frustrated by). I still wouldn't personally use a DAG for renderstate control, as I tend to prefer something logically equivalent to display lists (which may or may not be populated by traversing a DAG, or querying a database, or by running script).

My most recent work on this subject has lead me to conclude that using DAGs for organizing render states is not a good idea because it smells like overkill for 99% of usage cases. So instead of a DAG, I am currently doing some work on "render state *trees*", which, of course, implies the graph is a tree, and not a generic DAG. The remaining 1% can be easily treated by creating separate trees. So maybe you cannot do some combinations of things using only *one* tree, but you can do them with additional ones.

One thing that comes to mind is granularity. I can probably solve every case with one or more render state trees, but now I'm left with managing those. But then again, you're on a higher level now, where you're not juggling render states around, but trees made of them, and that's gotta simplify things a bit. If I can direct the output of a render state tree to a specific render target, then I can actualy start chaining trees together, and solve for very complicated use cases, with relative ease.

[]s,
M.
Quote:Original post by m4gnus
isn't that kinda overkill? one scenegraph just for transformations oO.

Nope, it actually works perfectly and avoids ugly downcasts as well (since each data structure has a specific use which is valid for every node/member). It's similar in structure to a database "index", which is the key to databases' speed.

that is one of the reasons i switched to a scenegraph. The sorting is included and i don't need to sort.

That's fine, but just keep in mind the cases where the sorting isn't actually a bottleneck... I've never bottlenecked on state sorting - the actual state updates and draw calls are always at least an order of magnitude slower. Don't do unnecessary work :)

guess i'll abandon the the whole scenegraph thing. That all seems horribly complicated with very little benefit.

It's not, although there are a lot of bad ideas about it out there. Take the advice given in this thread; proper data structures for your scene are critical to getting any sort of performance what-so-ever, and make writing new algorithms easy.

Just don't try to mix too many things into one data structure. If you need a structure to represent a spatial BVH, make it. Similar for a transform hierarchy. Similar for a scripting language tie-in. Just realize that most of these tree-like (or otherwise) structures can use a common code-base.
ok i thought a little about it but even if i'd use a seperated tree for transformations and state changes the problem with multiple passes persists.

i.e the render state tree for a shadow mapping pass would look like that:
     ...      |[Depth Material]       |    [Mesh1]       |    [Mesh2]

while the render-state graph for the final pass that renders to the backbuffer is far more complicated (as each mesh has it's own material)

regards,
m4gnus

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement