Sign in to follow this  

[.net] DataRow.Delete doesn't work, Won't update database.

This topic is 4071 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to simply delete a row in a table but the changes are not taking place in the database. Here's the code I'm using.
            SqlConnection con = new SqlConnection("Server=*******;Database=*******;User Id=*******;password=*******;");
            con.Open();
            SqlDataAdapter adapter = new SqlDataAdapter("Select * From Test_B", con);           
            SqlCommandBuilder cmdBldr = new SqlCommandBuilder(adapter);
            adapter.InsertCommand = cmdBldr.GetInsertCommand();
            adapter.DeleteCommand = cmdBldr.GetDeleteCommand();
            adapter.UpdateCommand = cmdBldr.GetUpdateCommand();
            DataSet Set = new DataSet();
            adapter.Fill(Set);   

Set.Tables[0].Rows[0].Delete();       
            Set.Tables[0].AcceptChanges();
            Set.AcceptChanges();
            adapter.Update(Set, Set.Tables[0].TableName);

con.Close();

After I execute it, the first row still exists in the database. What am I doing wrong?

Fairly sure you shouldn't call .AcceptChanges before doing the update. When you do .AcceptChanges, the subsequent .Update will be a no-op because the data adapter thinks the data table has no changes.

You're calling AcceptChanges(), twice. Don't call this, it'll be automatically called by the data adapter when the update is complete.

By calling it prematurely you're telling the dataset that the changes should be committed to the dataset (note: NOT the database), and it'll mark the data as unchanged. When DataAdapter.Update() gets called it examines the dataset/table in question and sees that it has no changed records, and thus won't do anything.

This topic is 4071 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.