What should i use?

Started by
5 comments, last by Jettoz 17 years, 6 months ago
I want to make a turn based strategy game.. what should I use I currently have microsoft visual C++, and have experiance in C++ is there anything better i should be using?
Advertisement
What's your goal? How complicated will your game be? 2D? 3D? Text only? Sound effects? Advanced AI?

If you're only looking for advice concerning what programming language to choose, I think this is the wrong forum, but to answer, it doesn't matter. If you're wanting to know what types of tools you'll need to develop a full game, then you'll need to detail what you want to create before we can explain what can be used to create it.
A lot of people would disagree with me, I'm sure, but c++ is what most people use. It's powerful, easy to get help with, and supports a lot of external librarys.
Things like gamemaker are better in that they are easier to use, but worse in that you lose power and freedom.
Nope. Visual Studios is a great IDE. You can't really get any better than that.
Language preference is a complex, and somewhat personal decision to make, honestly. Whether a language is suitable to your development needs will depend on how comfortable you are with the language, how much support the language has externally for developing applications that you need, and how easy support for the language is to access.

That being said, if you already know C++, and you have VS, then you're in a really good position. C++ is amazingly easy to get support with, and as already mentioned earlier, it has plenty of external libraries for just about anything you could want to do with it.
Moving to 'For Beginners'.
Hello, asking what language is best is something only you can answer. If you have skills in C++ use it. Most games in the market today are made with C++, such are RTS Games.

I wouldn't suggest Game Maker, this is something more used by children not professional programmers or people looking to be great programmers. Game Maker is unable to hold a lot of sprites/instances on a screen at one time. It also fails at multiplayer features, even though it still allows the use of it. The multiplayer features are extremely slow and very unstable for a next generation or even a hobby game in GameMaker. You will not be able to make quality 3D in Game Maker with due to the slow downs as well. The only reason anyone would recommend Game Maker is due to the 3rd Party DLL’s that “improve” how this program can run. The best bet for you is to use C++ and use SDL or another game library/engine. If you don’t wish to go down that road, learn DarkBASIC Pro, Blitz BASIC, ect…

Good Luck!
____________________VB/C++/C# Programmer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement