My book is almost done.

Started by
14 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 6 months ago
Wow, what a comprehensive comment I've had till now. First of all, thank you very much.

Quote:Original post by stimarco
1. Your English does not appear to be that of a native speaker. This isn't a huge problem if you get a decent editor ...

Thank you, I do have a nice one and you will surely see an improved writing later.

Quote:2. "Ultima Underworld" was released a few years before DOOM, yet had a more technically accomplished 3D engine. Carmack is good, but I certainly don't know anyone who considers him a 'god'.
3. 3D graphics have been around in games for decades...

First of all I respect Carmack. I didn't realize my addressing DOOM would ever be so offending. It's in my opinion that DOOM made 3D engine popularized. I'd be glad to change it to make the book theretically correct.

Quote:4. Six chapters seems awfully short for a book of this depth.

Thank you but I don't want to give a lenthy book indeed. The focus of my book is about what a generic engine is and how you can do it. It's a kind of technique that helps in connecting various programmers' work, not just the work of mine or a single person or team. So it's not that long at all.

Quote:5. A large part of your preface appears to be discussing generic _game_ engine design rather than merely the design of a _3D_ graphics engine.

You are right. However, there is a lot discussion on 3D issues in the book. I'll see what I can do to make it more accurate.

Quote:6. I'd also be wary of some of your phrasing. You appear to imply, for example, that an MCA can _only_ be done using C++.

Thank you. I surely didn't mean that. But C++ is definitely the chosen one in this book.

Quote:Today's graphics engines are merely advanced 2D renderers. 3D graphics is simply not possible while display devices remain resolutely two-dimensional...

Yeah, I absolutely agree. It reminds me Star War ( where they used a real 3D renderer to communicate:-)

[Edited by - Serenade on October 21, 2006 12:24:11 AM]
Advertisement
Thank you guys. You've been a great help. I've got to be offline now. Please don't mind if my replies come late.
My main concern would be as stated before...cleaning up the english. A well written book makes difficult topics seem easy, but it starts with a good flow of the languauge. Any more literature on this subject with a different angle would be a welcome to game programmers.
Quote:...I also like Dave's book but mine is in a different style that I hope would be something worth reading.

If you are truly serious about your writing, NEVER again refer to it as something that you hope would be something worth reading. Either you are writing something that is worth reading, or you are just putting words on paper to take up your time. Very few people will be interested in your work if the latter is the case.

Best wishes.
To Stake: you can count on my editor who definitely will never allow a bad writing to be published.

To the Anonymous one: thank you but it's just my way of being polite. It is worth reading, trust me :-)
Don't be polite that way. Rather, just politely say, "It's worth reading."

In America, you would not find a publisher for a book that the author only 'hoped' is worth reading. They would not read any more of your cover letter at that point, and your project would be rejected. I don't know why that would be any different in China.

If you want your book to do well, you almost have to become a salesman in this day and age.

Best wishes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement