Sign in to follow this  
UriKiller

A little problem with Z writing and culling

I am making a simple mesh viewer. I made an option to see the mesh with solid fill but to also see edged faces, I implemented this by rendering the mesh twice: first time is a normal render (solid) but with Z writing disabled, and second time with wireframe fill and with Z write enabled (and shader to change the color, but that doesn't matter). I disable the Z writing in the first time so that direct3d won't have to guess which one is first to be shown (BTW: why isn't just in the same order I draw them? without the Z disabled, just parts of the edged face lines were shown). The problem is this: when I disable backface culling, the first (solid) render will apear terrible because the back faces will be shown. How to solve this? Would disabling the z buffer at the 2nd render instead of disabling the Z writing in the first one help?

Why are you even disabling z-writes? With the Z-Test set to LessEqual (which is also the default, I think), the wireframe should show "over" the solid, just like I assume you want.

If you want the wireframe to show also for backfacing triangles, you could try clearing the z-buffer after the first draw.

Hope this helps.