Sequencer vs. Acid, FL, etc.

Started by
12 comments, last by Pedro Camacho 17 years, 5 months ago
The problem is that Sonar itself has no sounds at all, or almost no sounds at all.

If you buy the producer edition you will get some cool plugins on this new Sonar6 but the best sounds are in other plugins which you have to buy as well.

This is why, perhaps, Reason is better for fun composing because it already brings an enourmous collection of sounds. Ok not the best quality, but that is because normally people do not do any production on it.

For example, Andreus was composed using Reason 2.5 (an older version) which had lower quality instruments, yet later I brought the sounds to Sonar and used some top quality plugins to improve sound quality (iZotope Ozone and Waves SSL). Well the result is pretty much professional quality. So it is not fair to say, Reason sounds bad.

In this version Reason has some already good mastering "plugins" and, if you spend enough time to learn them, can let you make some serious good stuff.

There are some professional composers that only use Reason today.

The good thing on Reason is because later you can buy Sonar or Ableton (Ableton controls very very well Reason in rewire mode) and still use Reason together with Sonar (they will be completely synced). This way you never waste money.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Pedro Camacho
The problem is that Sonar itself has no sounds at all, or almost no sounds at all.

If you buy the producer edition you will get some cool plugins on this new Sonar6 but the best sounds are in other plugins which you have to buy as well.

This is why, perhaps, Reason is better for fun composing because it already brings an enourmous collection of sounds. Ok not the best quality, but that is because normally people do not do any production on it.

For example, Andreus was composed using Reason 2.5 (an older version) which had lower quality instruments, yet later I brought the sounds to Sonar and used some top quality plugins to improve sound quality (iZotope Ozone and Waves SSL). Well the result is pretty much professional quality. So it is not fair to say, Reason sounds bad.

In this version Reason has some already good mastering "plugins" and, if you spend enough time to learn them, can let you make some serious good stuff.

There are some professional composers that only use Reason today.

The good thing on Reason is because later you can buy Sonar or Ableton (Ableton controls very very well Reason in rewire mode) and still use Reason together with Sonar (they will be completely synced). This way you never waste money.

As Pedro has pointed out, setting-up a professional studio isn't just a one step procedure. Once you have the sequencer, you still need the sounds, and even if you have Reason, your creative abilities can be slightly limited unless you are willing to work around some of the limitations of the program itself.

Sean Beeson | Composer for Media
www.seanbeeson.com
Thanks for all the info. I have a bid in on the Sonar 6 Producer Edition, which you said comes with some plugins, but it looks like I'll have to purchase some other plugins. Any idea how much they cost? I saw your comment about THE powerhouse for music composition and thought it would be a good thing to get. Hopefully (if I win the ausction) I'll be able to find some less expensive plugins.
Please remember that there are other composition powerhouses around:

Cubase (pc / mac)
Nuendo (pc / mac)
Sonar (pc only)
Digital Performer (mac only)
Logic (mac only)

All these programs are very very good. I prefer Sonar but it is just a personal taste.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement