• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Mysterious link warning popped up

This topic is 4111 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I found an old VC++ 5.0 project of mine, and decided to refresh and rebuild it with VC++ 2005. At first I simply tried to convert the project space into a new solution, but VC++ 2005 kept crashing everytime I tried to convert it. So then I decided to simply create a new project and add all the files manually. After replacing the Direct3D8 code with Direct3D9 code, and fixing all the deprecation warnings, I build it and get presented with the following warning:
LINK : warning LNK4067: ambiguous entry point; selected 'WinMainCRTStartup'
Now, I'm confused, why was it ambiguous? These are the only additional libraries I told the linker to import: d3d9.lib d3dx9d.lib dsound.lib dinput8.lib dxguid.lib dxerr9.lib ws2_32.lib comctl32.lib, and I told it to use the multithreaded DLL runtime. I can remove the warning by explicitly setting WinMainCRTStartup as the entry point, but I've never had to do that before, and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Any ideas as to the origin of this warning?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
This is just a drunken guess that's probably wrong, but did you get the "windows application/WinMain" and "console application/main" correct?

I found the problem, and it was embarrassingly trivial. [embarrass] When I created the project, I did not select 'empty project'. And when I added all the files, the ones created by the wizard were sort of hidden amongst them and I never noticed them. So I ended up having a WinMain from the old project, which I was well aware of and a wWinMain from the wizard provided code, which I totally overlooked.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement