Sign in to follow this  
dadads

What should I study next?

So far, I've studied these things: - Loops (while, do-while, for) - If-then-else - Switch - Pointers and how to "delete" them - Dynamic arrays, using pointers - How to create functions - Arrays At this stage, I can already create a fully functional window program or an SDL tetris game. But I think I'm still missing the knowledge on some small details like: - virtual (what the heck is that?) - classes (I can declare them and make methods, but I've seen much more alien syntaxes) What other C++ stuff am I still missing? Any good source to learn them completely? (I'm not asking about Win32 API, Winsock, OpenGL, or other APIs. Just want the universal basics I can use in C++)

I would say that classes are pretty important thing to learn. You should probably cover all aspects of declaring classes, declaring and using them (dynamically and statically), and deleting them.

Inheritance is probably the biggest thing you need to know. Probably the easiest way how to do this is find a simple tutorial on the internet, then develop your own program that incorporates a large class hierarchy. Virtual is a pretty simple idea, but to understand it you need to know about inheritance first.

From this you will probably need to cover topics such as polymorphism, polymorphic variables, overriding, overloading, overloading operators, multiple inheritance and a few other small topics.

Once you have covered that in all its glory then you could move on to generics/templates. This is an extremely useful thing if you want to make type safe classes.

They are the main things that I can think of.

As for resources, the internet combined with google is an extremely useful thing.

Quote:

- virtual (what the heck is that?)
- classes (I can declare them and make methods, but I've seen much more alien syntaxes)

You have it backwards :) First you must learn about classes, then about virtual methods.

I think you have answered your own question though, the next thing you should study is classes and OO. I don't think there's a book that teaches classes and don't cover virtual functions. Then, or maybe even before classes, I suggest you study the Standard C++ Library, it will be a great tool(and will give you dynamic arrays without pointers ;) ). After that, actually write that SDL tetris. Then, possibly templates(are those the "alien syntaxes" you have seen?). Then, design patterns. And so on. There's always some C++ stuff you'll be missing, as C++ is huge(if, *in the future*, you read "Modern C++ Design you'll see templates used in ways you probably never think they could).

Out of the C++ book I am using you still havn't covered:

-constant, static variables
-references
-advanced function stuff (overloading, copy constructors..)
-OO design
-inheritance
-std::string (very important)
-polymorphism
-multiple inheritance
-friends
-streams
-namespaces
-temlates
-error handling/exceptions
-conditional compilation
-macros
-bitwise operators

and then theres so much more! have fun =)