Sign in to follow this  

Is Python used for C++?

This topic is 4071 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

uh depends on how you mean that.

python is a scripting language.
C++ is a computer language.

but some people do embed a python interpreter into c++

yeah, there are some games that use python as a scripting language for the game. So it is 100% possible to use python and C++ together. I used to know an example of a game that did this but I forgot.

Is that what you meant?

Chad.

Quote:
Quote:
Original post by slymr
python is a scripting language.
C++ is a computer language.

?

Last time I checked, python ran on computers too :)

i think he meant that c++ is a systems programming language :->

I believe he meant
Python is a scripting language.
C++ is a programming language.

Although, you can make programs using nothing but Python.

However, in most applications of python I've seen that are non-web related it's usually as a sub-language running under a C++ program.

Web related I usually see it by itself used to build a Content Management System.

I haven't messed around with Python in a while though so things may be different now...

( I also forgot to mention that there's an entire game engine written entirely in Python. I forget its name though)

Quote:
Original post by Ceoddyn
Pygame

pygame isn't written entierly in python,
its written mainly in C and is a python module. (its using SDL aswell).

python can use native modules (generally written in C or C++)
native applications can use python (Civilazations 4 is one example)

Uh, I'm having a lot of difficulty guessing what you mean by "used for C++". C++ is a tool used for accomplishing things, not a thing to be accomplished. Unless perhaps you meant "used to generate C++ source code"? It can be, but you have to know both languages already to make it work at all, and be pretty good with C++ to make it *useful*. :)

Quote:
Original post by caldiar
I believe he meant

Last time I checked, you could program with Python.

Prehaps we all mean "C++ is a compiled language."?

@OP - Since your original question was rather vague, I'll just say something on the topic of Python and C++. Recently, I've been adding Python to my C++ game as a scripting language. It's been difficult, but definately doable. It seems to be working fine now and I started embedding it about two weeks ago, IIRC. It's quite nice being able to write a script and forced me to provide a nice abstraction layer between my Entity class and the game logic.

Quote:
Original post by Ezbez
Quote:
Original post by caldiar
I believe he meant

Last time I checked, you could program with Python.

Prehaps we all mean "C++ is a compiled language."?

@OP - Since your original question was rather vague, I'll just say something on the topic of Python and C++. Recently, I've been adding Python to my C++ game as a scripting language. It's been difficult, but definately doable. It seems to be working fine now and I started embedding it about two weeks ago, IIRC. It's quite nice being able to write a script and forced me to provide a nice abstraction layer between my Entity class and the game logic.

"Although, you can make programs using nothing but Python. "
I take it the rest of my post wasn't read. =(

Quote:
Original post by caldiar

However, in most applications of python I've seen that are non-web related it's usually as a sub-language running under a C++ program.

In my code, it's the other way around. Python drives the application, and control a pair of native modules, one in C++, one in Fortran.

Quote:
Original post by Fruny
Quote:
Original post by caldiar

In my code, it's the other way around. Python drives the application, and control a pair of native modules, one in C++, one in Fortran.

Well dat cuz you crazy [embarrass]

The bulk of EVE-Online is written using Stackless Python, with just a few high-performance modules on the client and server side written in C++.

This topic is 4071 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.