Problem with command line

Started by
2 comments, last by Brother Bob 17 years, 6 months ago
Hello people, I've got a problem with my application. First of all, the story: on my desktop pc (where it's started the programming) my application runs fine. On my notebook (Sony Vaio) I've had a little code problem (windows.h must be include before opengl.h :-) ), after that I've found other problems: the console crash the app, the logger doesn't work... Now it seems I've solved this, but I've tried my app on other pc...and this don't start! Now on my notebook (without changing nothing in the source code) the app runs, the console it's ok, but if I try to run with a command line (ie "engine -video") with the video option it's ok, but with developer key crash! So, if you could test this, maybe you could give me a trick...The code doesn't have any kind of error/warning.... LINK - DEMO DOWNLOAD << To download, right click -> save as... The key: -In the application, press F1 for the console. It can manage only letters and numbers, backspace and return...ah, the only command accepted is "godmode on" :-) -If you start the app with "Start/Run" "%apppath\engine.exe" -video it will create a log with the details of your videocard -If you start the app with "Start/Run" "%apppath\engine.exe" -developer it will create a log with the app operations Maybe you've to move the DevIL lib in the c:\windows\system32 folder...but I think I've cutted the image code... Thanks for all, and sorry if I've made a mistake posting in this section!
Advertisement
Not sure if this is much help, but I downloaded your demo. I had to move the exe into the lib directory for it to run but then it displayed a coloured triangle in a window.

F1 opened a little console no problem. Typing "godmode on" worked and any other command produced the expected error message.

I also ran it from a shortcut passing -video as a command line parameter and it ran exactly the same as above but seemed to create some kind of log of the capabilities of my video card.

However, when I passed -developer, it crashed on start up.

I think if you want some proper help here you'll have to investigate exactly what is causing the problem and post some code that is causing it. I'd suspect it is either something in the way you are parsing command line arguments, or something that is only executed when you specify -developer. Clearly the actual graphics and console parts are working okay.

I note that if I pass the parameter -monkeynuts, it doesn't crash, so that would suggest the latter of the two options above as the likely source of the problem.

I can't see how anyone here can help further without more information.

[Edited by - EasilyConfused on October 21, 2006 6:22:31 AM]
Hi EasilyConfused, thanks for your help.

I've found - maybe - the source of error: I've a class that runs the glGetString() function, for have vendor info and extension list.
It's used to select the proper rendering (w/o shaders, w/ shaders ecc) and for now it runs ever.

But I' don't know why when I launch -developer it crash...on this command:

extension_list = new char [strlen((char *)glGetString(GL_EXTENSION)) + 1];

Message error says that I'm trying to write on memory 0x000000....or something similar.
Now, for vendor-version-renderer info this work, but with extension_list don't...

Ah, rate++ for you ;-)
It's GL_EXTENSIONS; you forgot the S at the end. But then, how you managed to get to compile in the first place with a non-existing enumerant is something I don't understand.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement