Total beginner-- Were to find a C/C++ toturial...

Started by
8 comments, last by DeadXorAlive 17 years, 5 months ago
I´m a Swedish guy that have almost no experience about programming. I´ve been looking for a C/C++ toturial that cover the "dialect" difference that come if you use Dev-C++. Appologises if it has been asked before...
Advertisement
Well, from what I can see, you have to problems.

1. You can't spell tutorial. Searching for stuff is easier if you can spell the key words.

2. There aren't really "dialect" differences because of using dev-c++. It's just an IDE. The compiler that comes with it is mingw, which might be slightly different to other compilers, but probably not in ways a beginner should be worried about.

One thing that every beginner to dev-c++ has is that when they run there first program it closes before they see the result. If that happens, search the forums, it comes up alot. You need to either pause the program at the end (there are several ways) or just run it from the command line.
___________________________________________________David OlsenIf I've helped you, please vote for PigeonGrape!
For someone complaining about spelling errors you should learn the word 'Two'
Dream Big. Fight Hard. Love Harder.
Quote:Original post by Kain Mikado
For someone complaining about spelling errors you should learn the word 'Two'

Granted, and you should end your sentences with a full stop (or period, if you prefer). But seriously, I don't expect perfect english from swedish people, I just thought he'd have more luck if he got his search terms correct.
___________________________________________________David OlsenIf I've helped you, please vote for PigeonGrape!
Try CPlusPlus.com or CProgramming.com or just search on google, Theres lots of stuff out there.
God is not all-powerful, as he cannot build a wall he cannot jump.Stelimar Website: eddy999999.ed.funpic.org/Stelimar/index.html
Hi

I have a really useful and easy to follow website for you to learn C/C++ especially as if you are going into games development. I personally recommend not only the ones previously mentioned by Eddy999999 as they are the best for general C/C++ programming, but i guarantee the Zeus CMD website will not let you down as it is very easy and well written for beginners to follow easily. It also has more advanced stuff, for when you are ready in the future which follows these C++ tutorials. Highly regarded and recommended ;D
Dave 'Kit' Wilson - Reliant Code
Quote:Original post by RAZORUNREAL

2. There aren't really "dialect" differences because of using dev-c++. It's just an IDE. The compiler that comes with it is mingw, which might be slightly different to other compilers, but probably not in ways a beginner should be worried about.

I saw a Swedish tutorial. But they wasn´t using Dev-C++, all was good, becouse I knew I just should put this code at the end of the "main".
cin.get();

return 1;
And of course add:
udsing namespace std.
In the beginning of the code
But when I came the part of the tutorial when I should make a simple calculator. "Enter" was used BOTH for start calcuring, and to end the program

( if someone want the link: http://www.blinkenlights.se/articles/cplusplusnyborjarguide/part8/)
Thank you all :-)
Ah, so that's your real problem? Forget about cin.get() and run it from the command line. It's the way such programs are meant to be used. And you should return 0. When returning from main, numbers other than 0 are sort of error codes.

It's entirely up to you which IDE you use, but I personally would not recommend dev-c++. If you want to keep using the same compiler, then codeblocks is nicer. Or, there's visual C++ 2005 express edition. It's more powerful, but uses a different compiler and is very windows oriented.
Quote:Original post by WillPash
Hi

I have a really useful and easy to follow website for you to learn C/C++ especially as if you are going into games development. I personally recommend not only the ones previously mentioned by Eddy999999 as they are the best for general C/C++ programming, but i guarantee the Zeus CMD website will not let you down as it is very easy and well written for beginners to follow easily. It also has more advanced stuff, for when you are ready in the future which follows these C++ tutorials. Highly regarded and recommended ;D

I'll have to add that site to my (very long) list of bookmarks :P.
God is not all-powerful, as he cannot build a wall he cannot jump.Stelimar Website: eddy999999.ed.funpic.org/Stelimar/index.html
Check out these threads:

What is a good C++ book/tutorial?
C++ tutorials

More links can be found in the Noteworthy threads sticky.

I especially recommend to bookmark the c++ faq lite.

Steve Heller's book C++ a dialog seems to be free again, it is quite beginner friendly you might want to check it out.

Good luck and have fun.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement