Sign in to follow this  

how to make 2d/3d layers using opengl?

This topic is 4075 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hiho@ll i'm very new to opengl and maybe the answer is just too simple what i want to do: the first step isn't really a game but what i need is a layer system like photoshop this means i draw at some layers internally and those layers are drawn on screen it's pretty the same as photoshop does but the layers should be able to do 2d and 3d effects so my question is: what do i need for it? is it opengl buffers? thx@ll

How are layers like you want them different from simply separated areas on the Z-Axis?
All you need is dedicate each "layer" his own area on the axis depending on how "thick" it is (2D or 3D) and then adjust the size to compenstate 3D view, else the layers further into the screen would seem smaller than those above.

Quote:
Original post by Morrandir
Actually, you don't need to adjust the size of the images/objects, you just have to use orthogonal projection to get rid of the perspectivic effect.

Cheers!

could make it tricky with the 3d effects though..

another option would be to store the layers internally and simply render them back to front and clear the depth buffer between the layers. (would give an effect similar to what you'd get by making for example multiple renders in 3dsmax and putting each render in its own layer in photoshop).

This topic is 4075 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.