Sign in to follow this  

Need advice for viability of project with respect to deadline.

This topic is 4076 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, first post. Sorry if I haven't waded through the myriad of tutorials before posting but I would prefer a personal reply. I have a very open ended project in college this year (no Im not going to ask you to do my work for me), it is expected that we produce something 'impressive' with a team of two, within 6 months, and learn new skills and languages along the way. Naturally we want to make a game. We both have a fair amount of C++ and Java programing experience and we have at one time or another made some from of game (I've written a few text based adventure games). Project submission is in around 17 days and we've been toying with the follow idea. - 2D rts, on a physically striking scale (microscopic) in a unique environment (biological) - Minimalist graphics, see Defcon, Warning Forever etc.. - Mouse control, Context menu interface - Networked Multiplayer - AI (possibly) We've been using OpenGL, C++ and DevC++/VC++ mostly, reading tutorials, making a few graphic demos and getting to grips with the tools available. But we're at an impasse on how to proceed, should we ditch opengl and move to Direct3D? Should we ditch the whole project, should we scale back? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hello, I am TomCo's project partner.

The time allocated for actual dedicated work on the project is roughly End of January until mid-march so we effectivly get 7 weeks dedicated work, and the time before that will go into some basic learning and implementation of our choosen APIs. So that might give you a more well rounded idea of time constraints.

Again, any advice is greatly appreciated.

I would say that this project is doable, if those seven weeks are REALLY dedicated, i.e. you don't really have to bother with nothing else during that period.

What you really should do though is first:
experiment a lot with your chosen api/tools until then, don't only read tutorials and such but actually use them for several mini-projects (it really does not matter whether you choose OpenGL or DirectX, in fact you should consider using a more high level API for 2D graphics, like SDL, Allegro, etc),

and second: have a kind of "design document" finished until by time you have to start implementing. In this document have your features listed in most important -> less important order, and implement them gradually. If you run out of time, you just leave the ones that aren't ready out.

And you absolutely MUST set and follow milestones.

Anyway, that's my two cents

Cheers!

Quote:
Original post by Morrandir
I would say that this project is doable, if those seven weeks are REALLY dedicated, i.e. you don't really have to bother with nothing else during that period.

They are completely dedicated to the project.

Quote:
What you really should do though is first:
experiment a lot with your chosen api/tools until then, don't only read tutorials and such but actually use them for several mini-projects (it really does not matter whether you choose OpenGL or DirectX, in fact you should consider using a more high level API for 2D graphics, like SDL, Allegro, etc)

That's what we are doing at the moment and up until January, but we want to get our APIs decieded on now so we are not wasting time looking at OpenGL and then finding something much more suited in January when it is too late. SDL looks promising, thanks for that.

Quote:
and second: have a kind of "design document" finished until by time you have to start implementing. In this document have your features listed in most important -> less important order, and implement them gradually. If you run out of time, you just leave the ones that aren't ready out.

And you absolutely MUST set and follow milestones.

This is actually part and parcel of the project itself and must be completed by December or some time around then, so all of that will be taken care of.

Thanks for the help.

This topic is 4076 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.