Where do I start?

Started by
9 comments, last by Chad Smith 17 years, 6 months ago
Hey, I'm Casualtie. I joined no longer than 10 minutes ago. I've always been interested in programming/creating my own games, but I never really knew where to start. I search google for an hour before I sign up on this forum and I could not find anywhere a real introduction that tells me where exactly I should start. I am a 100% noob to game progamming and I'd like to know if you guys and girls have any tips or links for a site that will tell me exactly where I need to start. Thanks [Edited by - Casualtie on October 21, 2006 6:16:35 PM]
Advertisement
Well you're going to need to learn how to program first. I'd recommend C++ because it's the industry standard and Visual Studio 2005 EE is free. (that's the program you'll use to type your code into. it will generate the exe file)

You'll probably want to get a book on C++; it's a little tricky.

And I find the concatenation of colloquialisms in your title very amusing
Haha ya; Concatenation of colloquialisms. That's what I was going for :/

Anyway, thanks for the help, I'll check it out.

EDIT: Oh btw, do you have any links to a good online C++ tutorial. I have no car so I can just run out and get a book.
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/showfaq.asp?forum_id=31
Ok. I'm having a problem figuring out how to run the progam I've created. When I save it and try to open it, it just opens with Visual C++ 2005 EE.

I'm not really sure what to do. I searched on the help window without any search results and I've looked at some basic tutorials, but they all assume I know how to do that already.
I will write a breif little tutorial here on hello world. I won't explain it, as that is someone else's job. I am just going to make sure you can use your IDE (what you downloaded [stands for Integrated Development Enviroment]).

First, open Visual C++ EE. Go to New->Project. choose win32 console. Type in the name of the project where it says name. Click ok and move onto the next step.

now there should be a window up That is about your project. It should say off to the side "Overview" and "Application settings." Click Application settings. Make sure it is on Console Application. Finally click finish.

Now you have just been introduced to the code. Ignore the code for right now, as I am not teaching you how to code. Now that you have built the code, you must now compile the code. When you get a book on C++, or even read a beginners tutorial on it, it will explain what compiling does. In Visual C++ EE hit F7.

if you did everything right then you should have some text that should look something like this:

------ Build started: Project: tut, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------Compiling...stdafx.cppCompiling...tut.cppCompiling manifest to resources...Linking...Embedding manifest...Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\Chad\My Documents\tut\tut\Debug\BuildLog.htm"tut - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Ok...so now you have just built your self a program. Press F5 now. A console window should come up and disapear really fast. congrats! Your IDE/Compiler is working! Now start learning C++ and have a blast with it!

If you navigate yourself to the directory where you saved your project, then you will find the .exe. Click on that, and the same thing should happen.

I hope this helped you man! If you need help with anything else, I will be glad to help you! My AIM is scoobydoo082002. So if you have AIM, don't be afraid to add me and ask me questions!

Anyway, hope this helped ya.

Later,
Chad
Well, seeing that you have trouble with C++, I'd recommend starting out lower. Why not try BASIC? BlitzBASIC is great for the beginner programmer, and it coaxes you right into DirectX. It has really good documentation and the tutorials that come with the package cover everything you need to know to go from basic 2d games to a full fledged 3d FPS.
D. "Nex" ShankarRed Winter Studios
Ok thanks. So far its worked pretty well the problem is no matter what code I make it always gives me the same error:

"unexpected end of file while looking for precompiled header. Did you forget to add '#include "stdafx.h"' to your source?"

Here is my code:

#include<iostream.h>

main()
{
int num=0;

cout<<"How old are you? "; //outputs the question to the screen
cin>>num; //allows input to the num variable
cout<<"\nSo you're "<<num<<" years old."; //output w/ variable

return 0;

}

Is something wrong with it?
I'll point you to this person NUCLEAR RABBIT who's made and is still making significant strides in learning C++ and programming and this wonderful C++ Workshop forum where you can learn C++ and other important concepts step-by-step.

note: I think those two links should be added to the For Beginner's forum [smile]

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I think you'll enjoy programming much more if you start out with Python. It has all the power of C++, but none of its legacy crap, its odd caveats, or its compile/link/run cycle.

With Python:
  • You can, using the interactive editor (the shell), write a statement and have its results instantly spit back out at you. Contrast this with C++, where you don't know what the hell you wrote until you finish writing the program and run it. (Normally, though, you write your programs in the regular, non-interactive text editor, since the interactive editor is not appropriate many times. But it is always there when you need to write "sandbox" programs, the types you write when you're just experimenting or exploring a feature. When you're just starting out, you're always experimenting. It's a very nice feature to have.)

• With Python, you write your program, and you instantly run it. With C++, you have to compile and link it. Then, you can run it with the development environment; however, if you want to run the program outside the editor, you have to dig for the executable. It's a small step, but for a beginner, it can be quite a leap. I doubt that you are very eager to learn about what compiling and linking is, what exactly it does, and why you have to do it. This sort of mundane stuff may be interesting to you if you have several years of programming experience, but for a beginner, I'm sure you would be more interested in actually learning how to do freaking programming.

• Python is clean. Compact. Elegant. Have a look at this comparison page between Java (somewhat similar to C++) and Python. Specifically, have a look at the side-by-side code samples (scroll down a bit). Compare how long it takes to achieve something in Java as compared to Python. The comparisons are similar in C++.

• Python is powerful. You have access to essentially everything that you have access to in C++. And if you don't? You can actually create a C++ project that uses Python. Then, code just the parts that you need in C++, and everything else in Python.

• You can write games in Python.

I'm sure there are many more reasons that Python is a good language to learn. You won't regret it, trust me.
.:<<-v0d[KA]->>:.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement