• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ghempton

OpenGL Finding a Texture Map from Image

This topic is 4262 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Given an image of a scene containing known geometry and known camera position and orientation, I am interested in finding the texture map for the geometry. Does anyone know if opengl or directx has snything built in to support something like this? Thanks

Advertisement
without manually creating texture maps from the image, the best you're going to find is probably projective texture mapping. Use the image as a texture map, and project it onto the geometry from the known camera position.

i think he has a complete scene with textures on it and knows what geometry that textures are mapped to and where the camera is and now he wants to get the textures that were mapped to the geometry.

i don't think that directX or openGl have functions for that but there has been an IOTD about extracting textures from buildings recently, which is quite similar to what you're trying to achieve.

regards,
m4gnus

Basically, I have a sequence of images and the camera position and orientation that the images were taken from. I also know the geometry, but not the textures, that are in the scene, but I want to find out what textures are on the geometry from the images. All the information about the textures is contained within the images of the scene. Currently, I am able to do this in software for simple geometry but was hoping to speed it up by taking advantage of graphics hardware ad to extend this to more complex geometry.

I could texture the geometry using an image as a projective texture map, but then I would have to somehow get the texture from that textured geometry, because ideally I want to extract a texture that can be mapped without resorting to projective textures. For instance, if I have images of a scene containing a simple cylinder, I want to project the image onto the cylinder, and then get a new texture that uses the cylinders uv coordinates. I will look into the IOTD you were talking about.

Thanks,
ghempton

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!