Good Linux IDE for OpenGL?

Started by
7 comments, last by V-man 17 years, 5 months ago
Hi Guys, Do you know what IDE is good for OpenGL on linux(ubuntu)? Thanks!
Advertisement
One does not usually have an IDE for a library, one usually only has an IDE for a language. So, what language are you using?
If you're using C++ and with OpenGL in mind... I'd highly recommend Code::Blocks. It works very well as an IDE, and it just so happens to come loaded with lots of OpenGL/GLFW/Ogre project wizards to get you started.

Click -> Code::Blocks
I set the clouds in motion, turn up light and sound...Activate the window, and watch the world go 'round
Quote:Original post by Schmedly
If you're using C++ and with OpenGL in mind... I'd highly recommend Code::Blocks. It works very well as an IDE, and it just so happens to come loaded with lots of OpenGL/GLFW/Ogre project wizards to get you started.

Thanks Schemdly. This exactly what I'm looking for. And yes, I plan to do my work using C++.
Can you help me find a direct link to the CodeBlock binary? I can't seem to find a version that meet my specification: Ubuntu 6.06 LTS - the Dapper Drake.

Thanks again =)
Quote:Original post by news2hear
Thanks Schemdly. This exactly what I'm looking for. And yes, I plan to do my work using C++.
Can you help me find a direct link to the CodeBlock binary? I can't seem to find a version that meet my specification: Ubuntu 6.06 LTS - the Dapper Drake.

Thanks again =)

The nightly builds have distro specific packages. Matter of fact I use it on Ubuntu 6.06 also.

Click -> Nightly Build Forum
I set the clouds in motion, turn up light and sound...Activate the window, and watch the world go 'round

The nightly builds have distro specific packages. Matter of fact I use it on Ubuntu 6.06 also.

Click -> Nightly Build Forum

This might be a silly question, but how do I run the program? It's already installed and I don't see it under Applications > Programming

[Edited by - news2hear on October 22, 2006 1:00:58 AM]

I made a default SDL project with Code::Blocks yesterday to see if it's any good. It looks nice. The only down side is that the editor is slow. The CPU usage goes up to 100% when I move the caret and it jumps 2 lines due to this.
Kdevelop doesn't have this problem but I have to admit I have limited experience with this one to since I wasn't able to do what I wanted.
I have used gcc to compile stuff myself for now.
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);
Quote:This might be a silly question, but how do I run the program? It's already installed and I don't see it under Applications > Programming

search for the file + type ./codeblocks(whatever) in its directory, if its what u wanna use often setup a link on your desktop or application->programming menu

For me, it appears on Development->(some thing)->Code Blocks
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement