lua? make a game JUST with lua?

Started by
1 comment, last by jbadams 17 years, 5 months ago
is it possible to make a game purely with lua, not as a scripting language? would it be faster than a game made purely by pygame?
Advertisement
you'd still need to bind the lua interpreter to some sort of framework, for example sdl - otherwise how would you draw to the screen?
Quote:Original post by Zaku
Would it be faster than a game made purely by pygame?
Neither will be very fast until you actually write one. [wink]

I've seen a lot of threads from you asking about how easy/fast/powerful various languages/tools/development-environments are, and I don't think you're actually going to get anywhere unless you settle for something and actually learn the basics.

It doesn't particularly matter which language or tool you choose to learn, you just need to pick one and stick with it until you can actually get something done. Once you've learned the basics and are actually able to produce a working game then you might want to worry about things like performance.

Keep in mind also that different languages will perform different based on how you use them and what you're trying to use them for, so while I might be able to write a game that runs faster in Python than in Lua, it's entirely possible that another game written by me might perform better in Lua, or that someone more proficient in Lua would be able to write my game so that it would run faster.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement