interesting first project

Started by
4 comments, last by psychomarine 17 years, 5 months ago
hello, I have never made a game or anything like it. For years ive designed the graphics using programs such as 3ds max, rhino, poser, lightwave, bryce, and recently ive been playing with others that are fairly new such as cinema4d. my question: I would like to make a game, using the point and click method. Remember Myst, the first one ever? That style is what im talking about. Can someone please refer me to the game engine that would be best for this type of game, or please instruct me on the best way, easiest, or even the most effecient way to create this style of game. Ive got awesome graphics already started, and that area is not the problem. I just have no idea where to start for the acutal program itself. In short, I am in need of guidance. for any educational information provided, thanks in advance.
Advertisement
I might be biting at the bit a bit early, but what kind of graphics are you working on? I'm assuming 3D with all the background? o.O Myst was 2D with nice, pretty pictures and movies, if I remember... There was a game... I think for the PS2 just like Myst but updated... Gah, I can't remember it for the life of me! >.< I'll try to dig around and find it, but to the point!

I'm not really sure there's any 'freeware' or licence-able (? O.o) engine out there for this type of game... You may have to get some people together and develope one... or try and change an engine already out there in to it... I'm not aware of any specifically (or really close at all) to this type of game, except that one damn game I can't think of!

I guess that's all I have to post... really, game design and the required engine relies heavily on what you want the game to be able to do specifically. I'll try to find that game's name out...
It might be worth checking out Adventure Game Studio (http://adventuregamestudio.co.uk/). It's used for 2d point and click adventure games, so it would work if your backgrounds are 'painted' onto the screen. It has animation support and a scripting language, so good for practise before programming. It's a bit Game-makerish though, you can make a good game with no programming experience.
thanks for the reply.

another game example, is for instance, "Scratches".

See, heres the deal.

All I need to do is display a picture. When a user moves his mouse over certain hotspots, the mouse changes and that area is clickable, following another action.

Also, when someone moves the mouse to the left of the page (or the right) that becomes clickable too, Just like in myst, or riven, or the point and click version of Scratches. Im sure theres plenty more.

Sometimes ill need to play an animation after a click, like a gate opening or whatnot.

I can do, as I stated before, the object modeling and textures, plus the animation.

Would it just be more effecient of me to just sit down and write this entire thing myself?

I do not need a physics engine, not that I can think of.

The reason I like these kind of games, is because you can sit down and make your worlds, and the game size can be very small, for its just images, and a few animations.

Correct me if im wrong.

Thats all I have to say at this point until I finish waking up and collecting my thoughts.

thanks again for the reply.

Chris
Why not team up with a programmer and try to make something really good? That way you can focus on your 3D work and the programmer can focus on what they do best.

For example, I've written 3D applications yet they always have fairly shoddy graphics. If you want to have a go at working on something together, then feel free to give me a PM :) That way we can both add a more impressive piece to our portfolios by focusing on what we do best :)
"Leave it to the computer programmers to shorten the "Year 2000 Millennium Bug" to "Y2K." Isn't that what caused this problem in the first place?"
that has been an idea running around is teaming up.

I feel that I must know and understand the programming side as well as the graphical side. I plan to, after much practice, start up a company and make these games for a living. But I cannot hire and tell my programmers what to do, if I dont know the limits, and possibilities of thier job.

As for the 2nd reply, im going to check that out, but if you say its kinda game makerish, then I might just leave it alone. lol.

I do in fact have someone willing to team up with me who owns xore development studios, which is a small internet development company. (a friend of mine) But he wants to start out way too advanced for a first game. I suppose I should just tell em, "look man, lets take it easy this time"

I guess well see, im still looking for a good solution.

Programming games in Delphi? smart or bad?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement