Sign in to follow this  

MouseMasters - ride your mouse!

This topic is 4070 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im proud to present you my first game: MouseMasters. It's a mouse-skill benchmarking, racing-style game with a simple objective: ride the best lap with the mouse-cursor around the track! You think you are a mouse-master? Show it! Download: Download MouseMasters! (1.2MB) .NET framework 2.0 required Instructions: 1. Place the mouse cursor in the chessed area. 2. Push a mouse button and hold it. 3. Ride the track! (clockwise) 4. Pass the checkpoints (dark red pylon-gates) or your lap won't count. 5. Stay on the track - touching the yellow border gives a penality of 1ms per pixel, riding outside the track - 3ms per pixel. Tip: For really fast laps, you will have to train your hand-instinct for about 40 laps Description: MouseMasters should be actually a programming warm-up for my major project, but by now it became a project for itself. The whole game is made with SDL (openGL porting planned). Currently, it's a very early alpha version, so many things are only symbolic and much functionality is simply missing. The main purpose of publishing that version by now is getting some feedback about the idea. The second reason for announcing it now, is beacause the todo list is quite long and I have almost no spare time, so further developement won't progress very fast, but it will ;) Enjoy it and give me some feedback! Thanks! Known bug: the red line lags sometimes when the starting area is passed quite fast Screenshots menu game

Nice first game.

But I think the current gameplay is a dead end. It might work a bit better if you add moving obstacles like in those flash games, but I still would't play it more than once for a couple minutes top.
If you really want to stick with the concept, you need to spice it up a lot. The off-track penalties are not noticeable enough. Maybe add an actual car object that drives towards the mouse pointer and gets slower/stuck/explodes after x penalty points. Think about a hiscore ghost car or AI opponents, strategically used turbo boosts or something like that.

Quote:
Original post by samv
Nice first game.

But I think the current gameplay is a dead end. It might work a bit better if you add moving obstacles like in those flash games, but I still would't play it more than once for a couple minutes top.
If you really want to stick with the concept, you need to spice it up a lot. The off-track penalties are not noticeable enough. Maybe add an actual car object that drives towards the mouse pointer and gets slower/stuck/explodes after x penalty points. Think about a hiscore ghost car or AI opponents, strategically used turbo boosts or something like that.

Thanks for testing it, but I think that you missinterpreted the objective of the game - it shouldn't be a real racing game but a mouse-skill-testing racing-style game.
It's supposed to be a kind of benchmark that provides measurable and comparable results of mouse-contoll-abilities.
So naturally, if that "game" is supposed to be a benchmark, the conditions for all has to be equal to have comparable results - so any kind of obstacles (especially moving)and powerups are out of place, I think.
The "ghost car" is already on the todo-list, but racing against it, is also not really practical, because the rounds take only a few seconds, so you wouldn't pay attention to it. A more realistic mouse coursor and better looking smoke are also on the todo list.
The next point that you mentioned is the gaming-time. I can't play the game longer than 3 minutes at once, either. Imagine it like a "comma" between different tasks ;) It makes also more fun when you are trying to beat others times.

For comparison - my best results:
Hardstyla - 297
Masters - 265
The big Z - 213

Edit: my mouse: Logitech MX310

Try to beat them ;)

Thanks again to all for testing it.

[Edited by - am2pm on October 24, 2006 8:58:34 AM]

Sign in to follow this