some questions )

Started by
7 comments, last by PhantomII 17 years, 5 months ago
Hi Im new to game programming(actually i dont even start yet :P) I now a little bit C++ I love that lg !!! and Im learning pascal(my teacher said i should start from the scrach :( ) i would like to know what API means and how to programming in DirectX or somethink ... i dont even understand what DirectX stands for ,in Dev-C++ theres a project option "OpenGL" I'd like to know what are those and how to program in these... :) Thank you (ill buy the book "Beginning C++ Game Programming") seeee ya!
I LOVE C++
Advertisement
DirectX and OpenGL are both APIs, or Application Programming Interfaces, for creating graphical applications, like games. You might want to experiment with using both to see which one you like best.

Also, the book Beginning C++ Game Programming only teaches you how to make text-based games. You'll need another book to learn about DirectX or OpenGL (although both have excellent online documentation).
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
thank you for your anwser,
I suppose when you say "text-based " games I'll have to give the co-ordiners and other mathematical stuff in the compiler in order to creare circle's, cube's and other stuff ,putting them together Il create games like tetris and etc???

I dont have a problem with the 2D enviroment Im new here and I have to learn the basic first ,but I dont whant to create text-based games if ofcourse are like I said above...

I suppose there is a better way what do you suggest me???
(btw the Text-Based games are the basics? if yes i have to make an exaption...)

:))))))))))))))))
I LOVE C++
Quote:Original post by PhantomII
I suppose when you say "text-based " games I'll have to give the co-ordiners and other mathematical stuff in the compiler in order to creare circle's, cube's and other stuff

No. Text-based games are executed in the console window (a black box on the screen), and have no graphics. If you want to draw shapes, you'll have to use a graphics API, like DirectX or OpenGL.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
niceeeee
well if i whant to create a game like tetris I have to use DirectX or OpenGL?
no C-C++ or other lg's?

games like..metal of honor lets say are created with directX only?
I LOVE C++
Oh! I forgot plz suggest me some books for starrting game programming in 2d and later in 3d environment plz and some editors ;)
(I dont have an idea of the diferents of OpenGL and DirectX I'll think i'd like direct coz i think most of the pc games in the market are using directX but you know better than me!)
I LOVE C++
OpenGL vs. DirectX: A Comparison

Basically, DirectX includes support for graphics, sound, input, etc. while OpenGL only provides support for graphics. However, OpenGL has functionality for much more advanced things which Direct3D (the graphics portion of DirectX) does not. You can also combine the two. For example, you could use OpenGL for graphics, and DirectX for sound and input.
God is not all-powerful, as he cannot build a wall he cannot jump.Stelimar Website: eddy999999.ed.funpic.org/Stelimar/index.html
When reading this thread I got the impression that you are taking DirectX and OpenGL for a programming language. They are not. They are, as already said, APIs and APIs are nothing but a bunch of libraries and header files together. In other words, you still have to use a programming language like C++ to use DirectX or OpenGL.

See it like this: the programming language is the 'base tool' that has the potential to do anything on a computer. Yet it includes no support for anything other than a very basic syntax and 'rules' on how to use the programming language (imposed by the compiler). You could of course make a 3D game without using anything but C++ and perhaps a bit of assembly but because this is such a tedious job people use ready-made APIs that implement all this functionality for them. Suppose you are using C++ and Direct3D. In order to use Direct3D all you have to do is link your project with some Direct3D libraries and include some header files in your sourcecode files to be able to use it. As such, it is not a programming language but it's rather a big library of functions and classes that others have already made for you.

As to which one you should choose I'm not gonna give you useful advice. :P It doesn't really matter which one you choose; as you are just beginning your main goal should be to become familiar with 3D programming in general. Not with a specific API. If you have learned OpenGL and you know your 3D stuff you'll much easier learn Direct3D at a later time.
However, as an advice, I would start by properly learning your programming language of choice. It is inadvicable to break your head on difficult APIs without having decent knowledge of at least one programming language. So really, text-based games are a good way to begin game programming. ;)
thx i looked and the diferrents of OpenGL and DirectX I was wondering how to put the together ;)
but Im a newbie yet so the best think i have to do is to buy a book ..
suggest me one and Ill get it in the first change!
I LOVE C++

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement