Sign in to follow this  

Java Game Development Group

This topic is 4063 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Have you ever wanted to make video games? Do you know Java or are you wiling to learn? If so please check out this site. I am trying to get togeth a group that will make fully featured Java games. This group will ba at least similar to an open source software project. Hoping to have fun doing this. SSMI Thanks for your time.

First a remark on the websites presentation: a spell-check and a consistent font usage would be good. Looks nice otherwise.

Anyway, onto the essence. Quoting from your site:
Quote:
Recently I started doing some research. I found out that it is possible to create a full game in java. I also learned that I probably couldn't do it on my own.

Yes, you can create games with Java, and yes, you can do it on your own. In fact, I highly recommend creating some on your own before trying to get a team together. Get some experience with smaller games, as it will ready you for the larger projects you want to do. Creating a 3D multiplayer anything game isn't a trivial task, and more manpower won't necessarily make it easier - think of the communication issues that can arise, or motivational problems. Teams surely can be beneficial, but they require management skills to get the most out of them. I think that at this stage, you're better off getting experience with building and finishing games. Start with a Breakout clone as an excersise, for example, or a similar small-scale game. Gradually work your way up to get an understanding of what it really takes to create games. It will help you a lot later on.

Good luck, either way. :)

Thank you for the tips. I have made a breakout clone. I also find I learn best when I am challenged. I am hoping this will be both challenging for me as well as a fun experience.

By the way thank you for the feedback on the website. I did very little than enter text. It is a goole beta project called googlepages. They give you 100MB of space and templates which you just enter text into.

SSMI

[Edited by - SSMI on October 23, 2006 1:57:56 PM]

Sign in to follow this