Sign in to follow this  

Loads and loads of idea's

This topic is 4059 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

I have loads of idea's, mostly fantasy-medieval themed, but also others. This topic is not like that I want to make a game and that I need people to make it. I made this topic because I love working out idea's and making game concepts, so I can help the people who are skilled enough to make a game, but without idea's. Of course I don't want full credit for the game(s), because idea's is just a small piece of the fine art of videogame developing. Email: ivocoumans@hotmail.com MSN: ivocoumans@hotmail.com Or post/pm here. I'll soon post a sample concept, expected 25 october 2006. [Edited by - Iv00w on October 23, 2006 8:54:44 AM]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You've got the idea, and all you need are developers and artists? That's a bit saying "I've picked the house I want to buy, now all I need is three hundred thousand dollars".

If you want to get people to help you, or you want to help people, you should post in the Help Wanted forum. But I warn you, there is practically no call for ideas men. You need a saleable talent, like programing or artistic ability, to have a realistic change of getting people to help you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
There's a lot of posts about things like this, I can't really find any right now to link you, but basically it boils down to... it ain't gonna' happen unless you have:

1. A friggin' sweet idea, that's pretty much finished and ready to start making (down to how every piece works conceptually).

2. Tons, and tons of money to pay a dev team.

3. Skills to help assist and the passion/ability to motivate a team to starting, and finishing the game.

or a combination thereof. =] A lot of the time, it is still a "Good luck and God bless!" view... so...

Good luck and God bless! =D

PS. If you really want to get into game design, go to school and start pounding out those designs. If you're not going to go to school, you most likely won't make a career of it unless you're DAMN good, (with proof) or unless you start working at it yourself... either with programming, modelling, music, or drawing skills. The rest will come with time and the propper effort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Everyone feels like this. I could make the best game but I don't know the technical details of creating it... but my ideas are the best!

Most often you want to do something as close to real life as possible.

This is how I got into computer programming, when I was 12! I played video games and decided "I have the greatest creative ideas for this stuff! I should make video games.

And I have been trying to ever since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well, it's not like "I found a house and I need money!", because I just have loads of idea's and want to help out people with the skills who don't have idea's, also, I don't want full credit for the game... :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That's another point of view, heh. Most people want others to help them, at least you want to help others. :)

The thing is, most people working on games are implementing their own idea's already, so I don´t think you'll find many people looking for an idea's-only man. On top of that, how do you know your idea's are actually fun to play? That's probably the hardest, and least tangible thing. What you like may not be what the players like, and how you envisioned the game may not be easy to implement, if you envision concrete ways to get there at all. Those cool idea's that simply don't want to get translated to a feasible ruleset, y'know. ;)

Anyway, have you written down some of those idea's? Care to share a few here? At least it would up your chances, as it allows people to check out if they're really such good or interesting idea's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yes... I am working on a sample concept at the moment, I'll add it to the first post as soon as it's finished.

And true, it might be that some people won't like my idea's, but the style is a highly played one (e.g. Zelda, Final Fantasy, etc.). I think it's the most played and developed sort, but I'm not sure.
Of course, it could be that my idea's are just stupid, but the style right... That would be annoying ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Everyone into games/game programming has ideas! Why would anyone spend years learning to program games if they had no ideas of games they would like to make?

Sorry to sound pessimistic, but you really should learn some skills (eg. art or programming) if you want your ideas realized. There are also some point&click style game creators available for certain types of games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by Kylotan
I agree, most ideas are worthless. But how about we wait to see his first idea before we shoot it to bits? :)


Hey, I come here for knee-jerk reactions and to discourage creative people. Don't spoil it for me with your lefty respect and giving him a chance talk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by erissian
Quote:
Original post by Kylotan
I agree, most ideas are worthless. But how about we wait to see his first idea before we shoot it to bits? :)


Hey, I come here for knee-jerk reactions and to discourage creative people. Don't spoil it for me with your lefty respect and giving him a chance talk.


Amen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by Jaws
Quote:
Original post by erissian
Quote:
Original post by Kylotan
I agree, most ideas are worthless. But how about we wait to see his first idea before we shoot it to bits? :)


Hey, I come here for knee-jerk reactions and to discourage creative people. Don't spoil it for me with your lefty respect and giving him a chance talk.


Amen


You said it.

Generally speaking, it's best to actually have an idea in a presentable condition before bringing it to the forum. The end result is always the same, but more evidence of effort means more schadenfreude for us.

So work harder. My dreams of making teh best gaem evar died years ago, and now I live to crush the aspirations of those who might succeed where I failed.

Crabs in a bucket and all that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by Iv00w
I have loads of idea's, mostly fantasy-medieval themed, but also others.

This topic is not like that I want to make a game and that I need people to make it. I made this topic because I love working out idea's and making game concepts, so I can help the people who are skilled enough to make a game, but without idea's.



What you've written could be rephrased thus:

"I'm really, really good at breathing. I'm willing to help anyone who doesn't know how to breathe."

Everyone has ideas. And I do mean everyone. Think about it: it's an innate thing all of us have. It's how people become adults. ("I wonder what'll happen if I put this leg... here... and move _this_ leg... there! Oh WOW! So THAT's how 'walking' works! Hey, this is cool! Aha! If I do it faster, maybe I can ru- oh poo! Stairs! This is gonna hurt, I can tell! OW! OW! OW! WAAAAH! MUMMYYYY!")

There are far more ideas than there are skilled developers capable of turning them into something we can play. That's why designers get paid to _design_, not just to sit around shouting at programmers: "Look! Just make a game where you shoot cute fluffy rabbits! It's a BRILLIANT idea! Way better than your one about the guy running around a castle shooting Zombie Nazis!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by stimarco
Quote:
Original post by Iv00w
I have loads of idea's, mostly fantasy-medieval themed, but also others.

This topic is not like that I want to make a game and that I need people to make it. I made this topic because I love working out idea's and making game concepts, so I can help the people who are skilled enough to make a game, but without idea's.



What you've written could be rephrased thus:

"I'm really, really good at breathing. I'm willing to help anyone who doesn't know how to breathe."

Everyone has ideas. And I do mean everyone. Think about it: it's an innate thing all of us have. It's how people become adults. ("I wonder what'll happen if I put this leg... here... and move _this_ leg... there! Oh WOW! So THAT's how 'walking' works! Hey, this is cool! Aha! If I do it faster, maybe I can ru- oh poo! Stairs! This is gonna hurt, I can tell! OW! OW! OW! WAAAAH! MUMMYYYY!")

There are far more ideas than there are skilled developers capable of turning them into something we can play. That's why designers get paid to _design_, not just to sit around shouting at programmers: "Look! Just make a game where you shoot cute fluffy rabbits! It's a BRILLIANT idea! Way better than your one about the guy running around a castle shooting Zombie Nazis!"


I don't know what world you live in, but in my world, there ARE people with not enough idea's, bad idea's (they say they're bad) or without any idea's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by Iv00w
Quote:
Original post by stimarco
Quote:
Original post by Iv00w
I have loads of idea's, mostly fantasy-medieval themed, but also others.

This topic is not like that I want to make a game and that I need people to make it. I made this topic because I love working out idea's and making game concepts, so I can help the people who are skilled enough to make a game, but without idea's.



What you've written could be rephrased thus:

"I'm really, really good at breathing. I'm willing to help anyone who doesn't know how to breathe."

Everyone has ideas. And I do mean everyone. Think about it: it's an innate thing all of us have. It's how people become adults. ("I wonder what'll happen if I put this leg... here... and move _this_ leg... there! Oh WOW! So THAT's how 'walking' works! Hey, this is cool! Aha! If I do it faster, maybe I can ru- oh poo! Stairs! This is gonna hurt, I can tell! OW! OW! OW! WAAAAH! MUMMYYYY!")

There are far more ideas than there are skilled developers capable of turning them into something we can play. That's why designers get paid to _design_, not just to sit around shouting at programmers: "Look! Just make a game where you shoot cute fluffy rabbits! It's a BRILLIANT idea! Way better than your one about the guy running around a castle shooting Zombie Nazis!"


I don't know what world you live in, but in my world, there ARE people with not enough idea's, bad idea's (they say they're bad) or without any idea's.


I live on Planet Earth. It's about sixteen million light years from Planet Logic, whose inhabitants like to point at us and laugh.

Yes, idea-free people do exist, but they are very rare. They're called "accountants". They are to be pitied or ridiculed mercilessly, depending on the time of day and what colour hat they are wearing.


This is a CREATIVE industry. People don't get into game development if they don't have any ideas. You don't get to be a good programmer if you don't have any ideas. You cannot be a good graphics artist or musician if you don't have any ideas. You sure as hell don't get to be a game designer if you don't have any ideas. The first thing you must be able to do in order to create something is _have an idea_.

I'd have thought this was painfully obvious. Unless, of course, you are an accountant, in which case, as it is Tuesday afternoon here, I must ask whether your hat is green or orange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by Iv00w
Well, it's not like "I found a house and I need money!", because I just have loads of idea's and want to help out people with the skills who don't have idea's, also, I don't want full credit for the game... :P


But going back to house analogy, that is exactly like saying "I just want to help people who don't know what to spend their money on".
You guess how often people are in that situation. [wink]

It's exactly the same here. No one have "skills but no ideas". Everyone (at least, everyone interested in making games, and in particular, anyone in that group who also have skills), have tons and tons of ideas. That's just how it is. (Fortunately)

Quote:

I agree, most ideas are worthless. But how about we wait to see his first idea before we shoot it to bits? :)

I don't know if the OP's ideas are worthless, and it doesn't really matter. He might have brilliant ideas, but that's *still* pretty much worthless. Brilliant ideas are easy. Implementing them is the tricky part. [wink]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Actually, I think a lot of games these days are made by skilled people without creative ideas. Either that or they're not prepared to take the risk to put some new ideas in. Almost every next generation game I look at has all the technical bells and whistles and no soul.

I often wish I could forget what I know about games that have gone before and the technicalities of making games, and just think about it from the perspective of the player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by Bander
Actually, I think a lot of games these days are made by skilled people without creative ideas. Either that or they're not prepared to take the risk to put some new ideas in. Almost every next generation game I look at has all the technical bells and whistles and no soul.

This is because the actual developers don't have a say in this. The designer/manager of course want money, since they're a company. He's smart enough to know that not everyone will like new ideas; with old proven ideas they know how much they will earn. With new ideas they know there is a great chance they will make a significantly smaller profit. The average income for "innovate" games is smaller than the income for normal games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
People don't get into game development if they don't have any ideas.


QFT.

Game development is a creative process, people involved tend to be creative and game enthusiasts, thus ideas are aplenty. Just an "idea guy" is essentially worthless.

"I wanna be a game designer, a.k.a. the idea guy". BTDT. And yes, I once confused the role of a game designer with the fantasy job of a guy who just dreams up new game themes. Eventually I had to pick up programming hoping I'd someday be skilled enough and in a position to implement my own ideas. And I, like most, have more ideas than I'd ever have time to implement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by Bander
Actually, I think a lot of games these days are made by skilled people without creative ideas. Either that or they're not prepared to take the risk to put some new ideas in. Almost every next generation game I look at has all the technical bells and whistles and no soul.

I often wish I could forget what I know about games that have gone before and the technicalities of making games, and just think about it from the perspective of the player.


You're very right! New games have the latests functions and possibilities built in, but there are very, very few games with good storylines and things like that.

And as CTar said, Game Designers are in a company. So there are idea guys and people who make them real.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
The average income for "innovate" games is smaller than the income for normal games.


I'd rather say the average risk for novel games is greater than the risk for proven concepts. People who put their money into game development have to consider the risk vs. profit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Anonymous Poster
Yes, but ideas are still cheap. Unless you have a proven track record, you need to prove to people some other way that your ideas are worth implementing. Best way to do this is to motivate others that your ideas are worth investing time into by showing people it's a good idea by producing code or art that will be used in the game. Once you become known for your good games, people will be more inclined to help you with your ideas.
I have yet to meet someone who is into game devlopment who does not have any ideas of their own. People would rather work on their own ideas that on someone elses, so you need to sell your ideas to them - see above.
The only reason games are stagnent is because the managers do not want to take the risk of implementing new ideas, they would rather follow a proven money-making formula. Not because the teams do not have origonal ideas.

I'd suggest you learn to program or produce art, write a concise, clear and thorough design document and then post in Help Wanted to get some people to help you out.

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Anonymous Poster
Im the AP above. I just wanted to add that if I were a game programmer or artist without ideas of my own, I'd much rather join an existing team which is created a game who's ideas I like rather than joining someone who has only ideas.
So, even if people have no ideas, you will need more than just (yes, just) ideas before people would join you.
I could randomly walk down the street and ask people for game ideas if I needed some ideas quick..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by Iv00w
Game Designers are in a company. So there are idea guys and people who make them real.


If you think that's what game designers are for, you're in for a big surprise. Game designers might not even be responsible for the game idea they're doing the game design for.

The game design chapter of "Introduction to Game Development" , Charles River Media, 2005, contains among other things:

- Game Artifacts
- Play Mechanics
- Interface - Player and System Communication
- Systems
- Constraints
- Iterating
- Creativity
- Communication
- Psychology

To list some subheadings, they include models, forms, paradigms, game frames, rules, features, premises, analogies, metaphors, choices, outcomes, goals, objectives, resources, economics, strategy, game theory.

If your definition of "game idea" includes all this (and more), I stand corrected -- my guess is (by Occam's razor) you're where most of us have been at some point. Good luck and god bless. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This topic is 4059 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this