Sign in to follow this  
redmilamber

How many players in an FPS?

I play a lot of FPS games, but .. I have a lot of other games I have to play, too, so I'm sure I'm not playing more than a quarter of what's out there. I'm just wondering what are the largest numbers these games have managed to get up to simultaneously in any one game? PlanetSide exposes the ambiguity in that question, but I'd be interested in what else is out there and how much it blurs things. So ... how many simultaneous players per game in games where all the players reasonably come into contact with each other in a period of a minute or so. AND ... how many sim players / game without restrictions (e.g. PS) AND ... how many sim players / firefight in games that perhaps sit halfway between the two? Assumed base is 32 players max. Anything up to that point, not worth mentioning :) we all know of many 32 player games, I'm sure.

PlanetSide is the best game ever. During a cease fire we had 200+ people or more in one base. When the cease fire was over, it was awesome.

I've been playing BF 2142 a lot and it has 64 player servers, though if they wanted the number of players could be much higher than 64 I can imagine.
Also the large maps play a big role with bandwidth. Also if you think hard you can imagine that friendly position and data don't have to be updated as rigouresly as enemy positions, but they are.