baselining

Started by
1 comment, last by redmilamber 17 years, 6 months ago
Quote: hplus said: Sounds a lot like like "baselining" -- ie, you send user inputs (or deltas) as your typical means of sending updates (I e, "player fired a bullet") but you cycle through all the state and send periodical full state snapshots for objects, so that an object will know that it always receives the sync-ed data every X seconds.
Where does this definition come from? I'm interested in finding some terminology references to help get a team of network programmers talking the same language (i.e. find a single ref we could all memorize rather than arguing over terms and definitions all the time), and this term jumped out at me as one I've never seen used in that way. I've seen it used a lot in mainstream IT and in networking and comms but for systems and process engineering, not protocols.
Advertisement
I picked up that usage for game networking on the gdalgorithms mailing list, perhaps in 2002 or so. More than one programmer on that list used it at the time. These days, it's not discussed much at all, being considered a "mostly solved" problem.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Damn. So, still looking for a reference, then :(.

(e.g. something like a smaller version of FOLDOC, aimed at implementation of online/multiplayer/networked games)

If there really is no such thing, I might put one up on a website myself, becasue we *need* to share terms, and if we can't find one we'll have to write it ourselves.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement