Extended hard disk information

Started by
4 comments, last by irreversible 17 years, 6 months ago
I can't seem to find a way (sample source code or referencial material) to read HDD temperature (S.M.A.R.T.-based or otherwise) and fragmentation (on file level). Windows defrag analysis can show the most fragmented files with fragment count, so I'm guessing there should be an API call to quickly obtain such information. Can anyone nudge me in the right direction?
Advertisement
No idea about temperature. I thought hard drives didn't have a temp sensor.

But this should help with the fragmentation info:
http://www.sysinternals.com/Information/DiskDefragmenting.html
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
The standard PC hard drive specification doesn't require them to have a thermometer, so many don't. Those that do only divulge their information to their own drivers via a proprietary interface.

You'll have a hard time collecting the information to create an API to communicate the temperature of a majority of HDDs that are capable.

Regards
Admiral
Ring3 Circus - Diary of a programmer, journal of a hacker.
Thanks - I got the fragment counter working - easier than pie, really.

As for HDD temperature - any HDD with S.M.A.R.T. support will divulge its vital information to the SMART driver, which shouldn't be too difficult to communicate with. The big problem here is that I can't find too much information on how to do that...
You could perhaps take a look at how it's done in the open-source smartmontools project, which provides S.M.A.R.T. utilities for *nix or Windows systems. It gives the HDD temperature for me (along with tons of other information):

194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 035 041 000 Old_age Always - 35 (ie, 35°C, apparently)
Okay - I'm kind of swamped in perplexion now - I have an Abit KN8 (well new enough to be SMART-enabled) and a pair of Seagate 250 GB drives running in RAID (also well new enough to be SMART-enabled), yet my Award BIOS makes no mention of such a thing as SMART and so does the manual (!)...

SMART-dependent applications such as HDDLife report that I have no SMART-enabled devices installed.

All that is just plain wrong...

Is this normal? If it is, then it shouldn't be...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement